Beetroot : 1 big (grated)
Channa dal /Kadalaparippu : 1/2 cup
Pigeon pea /Thoor dal : 1/2 cup
Fennel seeds : 1 tsp
Dried red chilly : 4 nos
Onion : 2 medium (finely chopped)
Grated coconut : 2 tbsp
Green chilly : 1 no
Asafoetida : a pinch
Curry leaves : 1 sprig (chopped)
Cilantro /Coriander leaves : 1 sprig (chopped)
Oil for frying
Salt to taste
How to make Beetroot Vada – Beetroots Fritters-Patties :
1. Peel the skin and grate beetroot.
2. Soak the channa dal, thoor dal for 20-30 minutes and drain the water completely.
3. Grind the dals with dried red chilly, green chillies and fennel seeds coarsely.
4. Mix the grated beetroot, chopped onion, grated coconut, salt, asafoetida, curry leaves and corainder leaves to the grounded dal and combine well.
5. Heat oil in frying pan, When the oil becomes hot, reduce the flame to medium.
6. Make a small from the dough; flatten using your hands and put into the oil one by one, after 2 minutes go on turning the vada’s both sides and fry till its crispy…Serve hot and enjoy!
- The flame should always be medium, if it is too low then it will observe oil and if very hot then vada will not cook properly inside and will get burnt.
Parippu Vada/Channa Dal – Thoor Dal Vada-Fritters