Any Fish : Six Fillets (I used tilapia)
Garlic : 8 pods
Shallots/Small Onion : 6-8 nos
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Fennel seeds : 1 tsp
Whole Black Pepper Corns : 1/2 tsp
Red Chilly Powder : 2 tsp or to your spice level
Coriander Powder :1 tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Lemon juice/Vinegar : 1/2 tsp
Oil as required
Salt to taste
Method of Preparation :
1. Clean and Pat dry the cleaned fish using a kitchen tissue.
2. Make shallow cut marks about 1 inch apart on both sides of large pieces to make sure the marinade seeps through.
4. Grind all the ingredients with little water to fine pate.
3. Apply the masala on the fish pieces one by one.
4. Keep marinated the fish pieces for 1/2 hour to 1 hour in refrigerator.
5. Pour required oil and when its hot tilt the tawa in such a way that oil gets spread evenly in the tawa.
6. Shallow fry the fish pieces on medium heat, after 2 minutes pour little bit of oil over all the fish pieces.
7. Flip the fish pieces after 2-3 mins and reduce the flame to low. Pour little oil on top of the pieces again and fry for another 5 minutes.
8. Once crisp,remove from heat and serve hot with rice and enjoy!
- Adding too much oil makes the masala float into it and leaves the fish bland.So just add enough oil to shallow fry.
- Any kind of fish can be used for this,either the soft kind like, pomfret, tilapia, catfish,etc or the firmer ones like king fish, salmon etc.
Check here for more Fish recipes.