Basmati Rice : 2cups
Water : 4cups
Onions : 1 big, (thinly sliced)
Ghee : 2 tsp
Carodmom pods : 2 nos
Cloves : 2 nos
Cinnamon : 2 sticks (1/2 inch piece)
Salt to taste
For Egg Omelette:
Eggs : 3 nos
Turmeric powder : a pinch
Onion : 1 no small (chopped)
Chili Powder : 1/2 tsp
Green chillies : 2 (chopped)
Salt to taste
Butter : 1 tsp
For Egg Masala:
Eggs : 3 nos
Onion : 2 big, (finely sliced)
Mint leaves : 1/4 cups (chopped)
Coriander leaves : 1/2 cups (chopped)
Tomatoes : 2 nos (medium,finely chopped)
Green Chillies : 4 (slit lengthwise)
Ginger Paste : 1/2 tsp
Garlic paste : 1/2 tsp
Biryani masala : 11/2 tsp
Yogurt : 2 tsp
Turmeric powder : 2 pinches
Salt to taste
Oil : 2 tsp
Onion : 1(big sized) (thinly sliced)
Saffron : 1 strand
Warm milk : 2 tsp
Ghee : 1 tsp
Coriander leaves : handful
Mint leaves : handful
How to make Egg Biryani | Kerala Egg-Mutta Biryani
Cooking the rice:
1. Wash and soak the rice for 30 mins, Drain the rice and keep it aside.
2. Heat a pan with ghee,add all whole spices(mentioned above for rice) add sliced onion and saute well till it turns to translucent.
3. Add drained rice and stir continuously for 2-3 mins in a low flame.
4. When its done, add water and cook till rice is done.
(Note :Once the basmati rice is cooked, you can remove the spices if you want to, else keep it. I prefer to keep them).
1. Beat the eggs,add all other ingredients and mix well.
2. Heat butter in skillet when it melts, pour the egg mixture and make omelette,when its done, remove and cut into pieces and keep it aside.
Cooking the Egg Masala :
1. Boil eggs separately, deshell and cut the eggs into halves and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in deep vessel, add sliced onions and saute well till it turns to golden brown.
3. Add slited green chillies,chopped tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, and salt; cover and cook until tomatoes turn very tender. Then smash tomatoes into a pulp.
4. Add chopped mint and coriander leaves. Add yogurt and briyani masala, combine well.
5. Add boiled eggs and omlette, mix until the tomato pulp coats the eggs well, adjust salt and keep aside.
Preparing for garnish:
1. Heat oil in pan when its hot add sliced onion and saute well till they turns brown in colour and crisp,add pinch of sugar to caramelized onion to speed up the process.
2. Mix a pinch of safforn in warm milk and keep it aside.
Final Cooking and Layering Biryani :
Cooking in oven:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F/180 degree C.
2. In a oven proof dish, grease your cooking dish, spread half of the egg masala (Note: Remove 2-3nos boiled eggs from the masala and keep it aside for garnishing) and with some cooked rice, sprinkle biryani masala, fried onions, chopped coriander and mint leaves, sprinkle little ghee and few drops of saffron milk over the rice as the final layering. Repeat this process.
3. Close with tight fitting heat resistant lid or close it with aluminium foil, crimp along the side and and bake it for 20 mins.
4. When it is done, remove and keep the dish covered untill serving.
Cooking in Stove top – Dum Method :
1. Make a dough out of the wheat flour / maida with little water, the same way you would do it for chappathi and set it aside.
2. Place flat cast iron skillet or tawa on the lowest burner of your stove. The flame should be at the lowest setting.
3. In the deep vessel, spread egg curry (without boiled eggs), sprinkle some mint & coriander. Add half the rice, sprinkle biryani masala, fried onions, chopped coriander and mint leaves, sprinkle little ghee and few drops of saffron milk over the rice as the final layering. Repeat this process.
4. Close with tight fitting lid seal the edges of the lid with above prepared dough. (Note : Do not let any steam escape) (or) if you don’t prefer sealing it dough, then close it tight fitting lid and place the biryani vessel on top of the iron skillet or tawa and cook on for 15 mins and turn off the flame.5. Let it rest unopened on tawa for another 15 mts and break open the seal; now dum is also done.