Dry Prawns /Unakka Chemmeen : 1 cup
Dried Coconut Powder : 1 cup (can use fresh or frozen shredded coconut)
Dried Red Chilli : 5 nos according to your taste or Red Chilli Powder – 2 tbsp (I used kashmiri chilli powder)
Small Red Onions /Shallots : 3-4 nos
Garlic : 5-6 cloves
Curry leaves : 2 sprig
Tamarind /Puli : Small ball size
Salt to taste
How to make Unakka Chemmeen Chammanthi Podi Recipe |Prawn Chutney Powder :
1. Wash the dried prawns well under running water,rinse them 2-3 times,drain out all the excess water and let it dry thoroughly.Spread it on a paper at least half hour before you cook.
2. Dry roast prawns to a golden brown and keep it aside.
3. Again dry roast coconut with garlic,shallots and curry leaves till the coconut turns golden brown in color and curry leaves turn crisp. Do it in low flame othewise coconut will not be crisp and brown. (Note : If you are using fresh or frozen coconut, make sure that it is well browned and crisp).
4. At the last minute of browning,add tamarind,salt,chilli powder to coconut and mix well.Allow all the things to heat up, switch of stove and mix it with roasted prawns.Let it cool and grind to a powder.
5. Yummy chutney powder is ready. Keep it in an air tight container at room temperature.Serve it with Idli, Dosa, rice or even with Chapati and Enjoy!
- Dried prawns/unakka chemmeen will have fine sand impurities, so make sure you clean well.Wash the dried prawns well under running water,rinse them 2-3 times,drain out all the excess water and let it dry thoroughly.Spread it on a paper at least half hour before you cook.
- Shelve life of this chammanthi/chutney powder depends on how well you roast all the ingredients well enough without any moisture. If done properly it can stay fresh at least two months.