Spinach : 2 bunches (cleaned & chopped)
Shallots /Pearl Onions /Small Red Onion : 3-4 (finely,sliced)
Garlic : 3-5 pods (crushed)
Dry Red Chillies : 2 nos (broken into halves)
Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
Raw Rice : 1 tsp
Curry Leaves : 1 sprig
Grated Coconut : 4 tbsp
Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies : 2 nos
Turmeric powder : a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil : 1 tbsp
How to make Cheera Thoran – Spinach Stir Fry :
2. Grind coconut, green chillies, turmeric powder and cumin into a coarse paste.
3. Combine the chopped spinach with some salt and keep aside.
4. Heat the oil in pan and splutter mustard seeds, followed by rice, add sliced shallots, crushed garlic, dry red chillies, curry leaves and saute for a few minutes.
5. Add the chopped spinach and mix everything and reduce the fire to medium, keep covered for a minute to wilt the spinach.(Note : Don’t cover for long, since the steam will accumulate ,which in turn end up in lumps).
6. Spread out the spinach to the side of the pan and make a well in the middle,add the coconut mixture and combine everything together.
7. Uncover the pan and cook on low flame for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally till all the water evaporates, adjust the salt.
8. Stir fry carefully for another 2-3 minutes so that all water evaporates and the spinach is not soggy…Serve with rice & Enjoy!
- Wash the spinach and spread it on a paper, at least half hour before you cut them, This is done to avoid lumps in your Thoran /Stir Fry.
Check here for more Side Dishes.