For Rice :
Basmati rice : 2 cups
Water : 4 cups
Cloves : 4 nos
Cardamom pods : 3 nos
Cinnamon stick : 2 (1″ pieces)
Bay leaves : 1no (optional)
Onion : 1 big (finely, sliced)
Lemon juice : 1 tsp
Salt to taste
For Marinating Fish :
King Fish Fillets : 1.1 lb /1/2 kg
Red chilly powder : 1 tsp
Coriander powder : 1 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste : 1 tsp
Fennel seed powder : 1/2 tsp
Lime juice : 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Ghee/Oil for frying
For Fish Masala :
Onion : 4 (medium, thinly sliced)
Tomato : 2 (medium, chopped)
Green chillies :15-20 nos
Ginger : 2 pieces (big)
Garlic : 8-10 cloves (big)
Yogurt : 1/2 cup
Red chilli powder : 1 tsp
Coriander powder : 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Briyani Masala : 1 tsp
Mint leaves : 1/4 cup (chopped)
Cilantro/Corainder leaves : 1/2 cup (chopped)
Lime juice : 1 tsp
Ghee /Oil : 2 tbsp
For Garnishing :
Cashew nuts : Handful
Raisins : Handful
Ghee : 3 tbsp
Onion : 1/2 cup (thinly sliced)
Coriander leaves : Handful
Saffron : 1-2 strand
Warm milk : 2 tsp
How to make Fish Biryani – Meen Biryani:
Cooking the Fish Masala:
1. Clean the fish and make a wet marinate with above mentioned marinate ingredients; apply it on fish and keep it in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. Make a paste of garlic,ginger and green chillies and set aside.
3. Heat a Ghee/Oil in the frying pan and shallow fry the fish flipping both the sides; drain the excess oil in the paper towel and keep it aside.
4. In same frying pan, add thinly sliced onion to left over oil and saute until it is translucent,add the ginger,garlic,green chilli paste, saute until brown color,add tomatoes,saute for few seconds,now add chopped coriander,mint leaves and combine well.
5. Add biryani masala,turmeric powder,red chilli powder,coriander powder,salt to taste and combine well until the raw smell is gone.
6. Add fried fish, yogurt and mix well; if the gravy dry then add 3 tbsp of water if needed.
7. Cover and cook on low flame for about 5 mins and wait till oil starts to separate and adjust salt.
Cooking the Rice:
1. Soak the rice for 30 mins and drain keep it aside.
2. Heat the ghee/oil in the pan,add sliced onions,all spices and saute for few mins; now add the drained rice and saute till rice combines well with all spices.
3. Boil the required water,add flavored rice,and cook the rice for 8-10 mins.(uncovered)
4. When rice done drain the excess water immediately.Sprinkle the lime juice and set it aside.
Preparing for Garnish :
1. Heat ghee and fry the thinly sliced onion till golden color and crispy for 15 mins sprinkle little sugar to caramelize,remove and drain on to the paper towel.
2. Now fry cashews and then raisins until they turn golden color,drain and remove on to the paper towel and keep it aside.(Note : Save the leftover ghee for layering the biryani)
3. Mix saffron strand in warm milk and keep it aside.
Final Cooking & Layering :
Cooking in Oven :
2. In a oven proof dish, grease your cooking dish and spread half of the fish masala and with some cooked rice.
3. Sprinkle biryani masala ,fried cashews, raisins, fried onions and chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves, sprinkle left over ghee and few drops of saffron milk over the rice as the final layering. Repeat this process.
4. Close with tight fitting heat resistant lid or close it with aluminium foil, crimp along the side and and bake it for 20 mins.
5. When it is done, remove and keep the dish covered until serving.
Cooking in Stove top – Dum Method :
1. Make a dough out of the wheat flour / maida with little water, the same way you would do it for chappathi and set it aside.
2. Place flat cast iron skillet or tawa on the lowest burner of your stove. The flame should be at the lowest setting.
3. Layer the fish masala and rice; sprinkle biryani masala, fried cashews, raisins, fried onions, chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves, sprinkle left over ghee and few drops of saffron milk over the rice as the final layering. Repeat this process.
5. Let it rest unopened on tawa for another 15 mts and break open the seal; now dum is also done.