Mathanga Pulinkari was one of my mom’s staple recipes, when I was growing up. If this curry tastes good the credit is my mom’s. This is a very simple easy to make and goes well with rice…Every time I buy pumpkin, I make this curry and even I shared this recipe with a couple of my friends and they all gave me the thumbs and good feedback too. I hope you will have the same experience and be happy with this authentic amma’s recipe.
Pumpkin /Mathanga : 2 cup (cut into one inch cubes)
Grated Coconut : 3 tbsp
Red Chili Powder : 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/2 tsp
Coriander Seeds : 1 tsp
Fenugreek/Methi seeds : 1/4 tsp
Toor Dal : 1 tbsp
Urad Dal :1 tbsp
Tamarind extract : 1 tbsp
Asafoetida/Kayam Powder : 1 tsp
Curry leaves : 1 sprig
Dry red chilies : 2-3 nos
Salt to taste
Oil : 1 tsp
How to make Mathanga Pulinkari | Pumpkin Curry :
1. Cook the pumpkin with the curry leaves,turmeric powder,chilly powder,asafoetida and salt till it turns to soft & tender.
2. Add the tamarind extract; reduce the fire to low and cook for a few minutes.
3. In a frying pan,roast the grated coconut,coriander seeds, fenugreek/methi seeds,urad and toor dal saute until it turns to light brown colour. Remove from the fire and allow it to cool.
4. Grind the fried coconut mixture into a smooth paste.
5. Add the grounded coconut paste to the pumpkin curry and mix well reduce the fire to low and cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Heat the oil in a frying pan and pop mustard seeds add dry red chillies and pour the seasoning to the pulinkari…Serve hot with rice and Enjoy !
Other vegetables you can use for pulikari.
Raw green plantains/Vazhakka
Check here for more Vegetarian Gravies & Curries.
Have a Good Day!