Tandoori Chicken Recipe
First Marinade :
Chicken Whole : 800 grm /1.7 lb or 8 leg pieces /Drumsticks
Lime Juice : 1 tsp
Kashmiri chili powder : 1 tsp
Ginger-Garlic paste : 1 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Second Marinade :
Ajwain : 1/2 tsp
Gram flour : 4 tbsp
Yogurt : 1 cup
Kashmiri Chilly Powder : 2 tsp
Mustard Powder : 1 tsp
Ginger Garlic Paste : 2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder : 1/2 tsp
Kasoori Methi Powder : 1/2 tsp
Mustard Oil : 4 tbsp (I have used olive oil)
Salt to taste
How to make Tandoori Chicken :
1. Prick the flesh of the chicken all over with a fork. Using a sharp knife, cut slashes in the flesh to allow the marinade to penetrate. If your using chicken legs then make 2-3 deep slits on the fleshy part of the chicken legs till close to the bones. Place the chicken in a large shallow dish.
2. Mix the ingredients listed in first marinade and massage the chicken on all sides using your hand into the slits and massage it well. Place them in the refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
3. Heat 2 tbsp of mustard oil and add ajwain seeds, gram flour and roast it in a slow flame for a minute till you get a nice aroma. (Note : Care should be taken not to burn the gram flour; the best way is to stir continuously and take the pan off the heat, back to the heat time and again). Allow this to cool.
4. Meanwhile mix the ingredients listed in the second marinade except the oil along with the cooked gram flour paste, salt to taste and finally add the oil and stir until well-mixed.
5. Pour the mixture over the chicken and rub it into the slit, turning the chicken several times and cover and leave it in refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight. (Note : More you marinate better the taste. Do not marinate for longer than 2 days). Remove the chicken from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking.
8. If roasting, preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Place an aluminum foil on a baking tray, brush with oil and place the marinated chicken and bake for 10-15 minutes; take out the tray carefully using your oven mitts. Turn them over and baste it with marinade using a brush or a spoon, return to oven and bake again for 10 mins until the juices run clear, after baking, broil high it for about 5-8 minutes again turning the sides in between or until the juices run clear when a piece is pierced near the bone with a knife.
9. Serve with sprigs of cilantro and slices of cucumber, onion, and lemon wedge and enjoy!
- Temperature setting and cooking time may vary depending on oven so adjust the timing accordingly.
- In restaurants tandoori chicken are red in color. They add color, but i don’t prefer adding color rather I would add more Kashmiri chilli powder for the color and it’s always better to avoid the color and eat it with the natural golden color.