Nothing beats a homemade muffin, hot from the oven and slathered with butter..Heavenly! Aren’t they? These healthy, moist, super wholesome muffins make a perfect breakfast or snacking. Great for kids and adults who have very specific dietary. What’s special about this recipe is it’s made with almond meal along with apple sauce instead of oil or butter and it’s fully packed with protine.
Almond meal, which has the same nutritional value as raw almonds such as high in protein, vitamin E, as well as healthy monounsaturated fats. To know more about almonds health benefits read here. Almond meal is simply raw whole almonds with the skin still on (unblanched), that have been ground into a fine powder. You can always make your own or you can find them at most high end or specialty grocery stores. If you want to pack some extra nutritional punch into your baked goods then this recipe is perfect..U gotta try it!!
Recipe adopted from Epicurious on Bon Appétit magazine June 1991 edition and I modified the recipe based on my family’s taste bud.
Eggless Butterless Almond Meal Banana Nut Muffins Recipe
Makes : 15 muffins
Almond Meal : 1 cup
All Purpose Flour : 1 cup
Banana : 2 medium, mashed
Baking Powder : 1 tsp
Baking Soda : 1 tsp
Salt : 1/2 tsp
Honey :1/4 cup or replace with light brown sugar
Milk : 1/2 cup
Apple Sauce : 1/3 cup /75g
Peacan Nuts : 1/2 cup (toasted, chopped) or can replace with macadamia nuts or walnuts.
How to Prepare Almond Meal :
1. Pour unsalted unbalanced almonds into a food processor or in a clean coffee grinder, and cover with the lid.
2. Hit the pulse button for several times until a medium-fine textured meal forms (consistency of corn meal). (Note : Be careful not to over-process or you’ll end up with almond butter).
3. Pour ground almond meal in a clean flour sifter and sift. Put any large chunks of almonds back into the coffee grinder or processor, process again until they are the desired texture, Sift remaining almond meal.
4. Place your almond meal in freezer-safe, airtight bags or containers and store in the freezer.
How to make Eggless Butterless Almond Banana Nut Muffins :
2. In a large bowl, sift and combine together almond meal, flour, baking powder,baking soda and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, combine mashed bananas, honey, apple sauce, milk and mix well.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients (Note : Be careful not to over mix).
5. Fold in half of the chopped nuts into the batter.
6. Pour batter into greased muffin tins or paper muffin cups and sprinkle the remaining nuts on top of the muffins.
7. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool before removing from muffin pan.
9. Enjoy as is or spread a layer of butter..Yum!