Fresh fish cooked in an earthenware pot (Man chatty) with raw unseasoned spices along Cambogia /Fish Tamarind /Kudampuli. This distinct tangy and spicy fish curry is a sea food lovers delight…
This recipe corresponds to the fish curry prepared around Kottayam (a city in the Indian state of Kerala). Serve it with piping hot plain boiled rice or with Mashed Tapioca /Kappa Puzhukku. Leftovers are wonderful too! Do give a try and Enjoy!
Meen Vevichathu Recipe – Kottayam Style Fish Curry Recipe – Spicy Fish Curry Recipe
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 20-30 minutes
Serves : 4-6
Any kind of Fish /Meen : 1 lbs /1/2 lb (I used King Fish, cut the fish to medium sized pieces)
Ginger : 2 tbsp (finely minced)
Cambogia /Fish Tamarind /Kudampuli : 3-4 or to taste
Coconut Oil : 2-3 tbsp
Mustard seeds : 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves : 2 sprig
Salt to taste
For Spice Powder Paste :
5. Splutter the mustard seeds and 1 sprig of curry leaves.
14. Turn off the stove and keep the curry covered for 10-20 minutes, let the flavor set.
15. Serve with piping hot plain boiled rice or with Mashed Tapioca /Kappa Puzhukku and Enjoy!
- Another method of preparing this curry is layer a few sprigs of curry leaves at the bottom of the pan/Kalchatti’ an Earthen pot, followed by raw fish on top of that. Make the gravy separately and pour it over the fish and cover and cook for 15-20 mins and follow the rest of procedure mentioned above.
- The curry tastes best the day after it is prepared ,and even better the following days. The curry can be left out in room temperature and every night slightly reheat it, obviously after the reheating every day, its taste more yummy!! It stay for 2 days.
- Some people prefer a watery gravy and some thick gravy. If you perfer thick gravy then just add 2 tsp coriander powder while making spice powder paste.
Kerala Fish Curry
Meen Manga Curry /Fish Mango Curry
Varutharacha Meen Muringakka Pacha Manga Curry /Fish with Raw Mango & Drumstick in Roasted Coconut
Fish Molee /Meen Molee /Kerala Style Fish Stew with Coconut Milk
Nadan Mathi Chaala Curry /Kerala Sardiness Curry
Meen Thengapal Curry /Fish Coconut Milk Curry
Meen Mulakittathu /Spicy Red Fish Curry
Clcik here for more Fish Recipes.