Classic Rogan Josh fingerlicking mutton curry with load of spices.
This curry is very fragrant and sumptuous, and can be made anywhere from mild to red-hot, depending on how much spice you prefer. A large number of rogan josh variations exist. Here I am sharing the recipe which I adapted from hawkins pressure cooker recipe cookbook. As you all know I’m a great fan of chef harpal singh recipe and I have his Rogan Josh recipe too which totally different version from the one I’m sharing today. Although there are a lot of ingredients, this is easy to make and very worth the while. It pairs well with Naan(Check here for Homemade Butter Naan), Roti or any Flat Breads, or even with Ghee Rice and Kashmiri Pulao.
Other Popular Restaurant style recipes You Might Also Like:
How to make Rogan Josh Recipe – Kashmiri Lamb Curry Recipe – Lamb in Spiced Rich Gravy Recipe
- For Dry Roast :
- Coriander Seeds : 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds : 2 tsp
- Poppy Seeds : 1 tbsp
- Almonds : 16 shelled or substitute with cashew.
- Cloves : 4
- Black Cardamoms : 2
- Black Peppercorns : ¼ tsp
- Mace : large pinch.
- Fresh Grated Coconut : 2 tbsp
- To Ground :
- Whole Dry Red Chilies : 5 or to your spicy tolerance level (soaked in ½ cup hot water for 15 minutes, water drained and reserved)
- Garlic : 8 flakes
- Ginger : 2 tsp
- Grated Nutmeg : large pinch
- For Gravy :
- Goat /Lamb /Mutton Shoulder : 1 kg /2.2 lb (cut into bite-size pieces)
- Vegetable oil or Melted Unsalted Butter or Both combined : ¼ cup
- Bay leaves : 2
- Cinnamon stick : 2.5 cms
- Green Cardamoms : 5 slightly crushed
- Onions : 1 large or 2 medium grated
- Tomato : 2 medium chopped
- Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder : 1 tbsp or as needed.
- Yogurt : ¾ cup beaten
- Salt to taste
- Water : 1 cup
- In a pan, dry roast together all ingredients listed above "For Dry Roast" over low heat for couple of minutes or until fragrant and allow it to cool.(Note : Care should be taken not to burn the spices).
- Transfer the cooled roasted spices to the blender along with the above listed ingredients "To Ground" and water in which the chilies were soaked little at a time and ground to a smooth, thick paste.
- Heat oil or butter in pressure cooker, add bay leaves, cinnamon and green cardamoms and stir fry for few seconds, Reduce the heat and add onions and satue until onions are golden brown.
- Add ground paste, chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder and combine well.
- Add 1 tbsp of curd, stir and fry until curd is well blended (approximately ½ minute). Add the remaining curd, a tablespoon at a time till all the curd is used. Stir fry till the oil separates, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the salt and mutton pieces and fry till the meat is lightly browned. Add the water and mix well.
- Close the cooker and bring it to full pressure on high heat, when its comes to high heat, reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool naturally.
- Optional : If you perfer thick gravy. Return the cooker to heat over medium heat, cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the gravy thickens.
- Yummy Rogan Josh is ready to serve. Serve hot with steamed rice or spiced basmati Rice or Naan or any Indian breads and Enjoy!
Do try this delectable aromatic, hot and deeply satisfying dish Rogan Josh-Kashmiri Lamb Curry, it sure will be yummy with hot steamed rice or spiced basmati Rice, Ghee Rice, Kashmiri Pulao. or Naan or any Indian breads as you prefer and don’t forget to let me know your opinion if you try. Enjoy!
Have a Good Day All!