Kozhi Nirachathu – Stuffed Chicken is much loved North Kerala Muslim specialty prepared at all special occasions including parties for newly married couples, Eid and Iftar. It is a preparation with whole chicken stuffed with spiced onions, dry fruits and boiled eggs and then baked.
I had this recipe marked to try for a long time but continually passed over it. Finally I decided to just give it a go, and now I am totally kicking myself for not trying it sooner. And I must say, this is definitely a fantastic recipe – I love it for many reasons. First and most importantly, it tastes amazing. Second, stuffing and the combination of spices gives it a really interesting flavor. It is little time consuming to make, but its worth all the effort.. I can’t wait to make these again!
Preparation Time : 2 hrs
Cooking Time : 1 1/2 hrs
Serves : 4
Lemon Juice : 1 tbsp
Fennel Seeds Powder: 2 tsp
Coriander Powder : 2 tsp
Coriander Leaves : handful finely chopped
Water : 1/4 cup (optional – only if your gravy becomes dry)
1. Clean the whole chicken; apply some lemon juice, rinse thoroughly and make slits on the chicken both inside and outside, for the masala to penetrate well.
2. Make a marinade using red chilly powder,turmeric powder, salt and 1 tsp of oil . Apply the paste all over the chicken both inside and outside. Cover it well with a plastic paper and refrigerate it overnight or for at least 2 hrs.
Preparing Stuffing :
1. Boil eggs, peel and keep aside.
3. In the same pan, add the sliced onions and saute till it turns to translucent and brown color, now add the minced ginger-garlic, green chili and saute well.
4. Add the chopped tomato and saute till it turns to soft ad mushy. Add the garam masala, turmeric powder and chili powder and mix all together. Add the curry leaves and coriander leaves.
5. If your using nuts then add raisins and cashews and mix well.
Baking Chicken :
1. Preheat the oven in 400F. Place the chicken in to the oven safe bowl.
2. Place the breast side down. Spray some oil used for frying the chicken. Cover the bowl with an aluminium foil.
and bake it covered for 30 minutes. (Note : Make sure you flip the chicken on all sides to ensure thorough cooking.)
2. Add the chopped onion and saute for couple of minutes. Add the minced ginger garlic and green chili saute for till the raw smell goes.
4. Add the all spice powders listed above “For Gravy” and fry them until it starts to spread a nice aroma.
5. Add the salt and mix together. (Note : Add little water if the mixture is dry)
6. Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
Final Baking :
If you don’t have an oven, You can prepare it in the wok; place the fried chicken on the masala, cover with a lid and cook it on medium flame until done.
You can also prepare this dish dry,without adding gravy and can also add any vegetable.
If you want to make it less spicy then add kashmiri chili powder / Paparika
Serve with Steamed rice or with Indian Bread and Enjoy!