Here come Vishu Kanji, which I learnt from my achamma/grandma and I hope you will like it 🙂
Vishu Kanji Recipe- Palakkad Style /Rice and Coconut Porridge.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4-6
Parboiled Rice (preferable rose matta) : 1/2 cup
Long Grain Rice /Raw rice : 1/2 cup
Mung dal (optional) : 1/4 cup
Puliavarakka /Mochapayaru/Mochakottai : 1/4 cup ( quick google search led me to the English names of this beans. Field beans, Lima beans, Dried vaal, Fava beans, Butter beans.)
Coconut Milk : 2 cups
Fresh Grated Coconut : 1 cup
Salt to taste
How to make Vishu Kanji Recipe- Palakkad Style /Rice and Coconut Porridge:
1. Dry roast puliavarakka/mochapayaru and moong dal (if your using) separately for 5 minutes or till you can smell the aroma and set it aside.
2. Separately wash 1/2 cup each of long-grain and parboiled rice until the water runs clear and cook them separately with 3 cups of water for each variety of rice until very soft. (Note : Always cook the rice separately, because the parboiled rice takes more time to cook.) When the both rice are cooked; combine both together and set aside. The mixture will thicken as it sits.
3. Meanwhile cook the roasted
puliavarakka/mochapayaru and moong dal with 2 to3 cups thick coconut milk, untill the beans are cooked.
4. Add the cooked beans along with coconut milk to the rice pot with salt and cook for couple of minutes.
5. Add the grated coconut and stir gently before serving. (Note : If needed thin out with boiling water as required.)
6. Serve with Chakka puzukku or Aviyal and pappadam. Serve and Enjoy!
Related Post :
Pal Kanjiyum Payarum Chutta Pappadamum