I am a huge fan of Brussels Sprout, for its countless good side.Usually I make brussel sprout masala or roast them, but this is another way to enjoy this wonder veegie. I loved the texture of the shredded brussels and added with grated coconut. These are all lovely stir fry and they are a bit different than those usually stir fry found on our dinner tables.
So why not try out this healthy recipe? …don’t forget to give me a feedback though!
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Servers : 6
Brussels Sprouts : 1 lb (shredded or finely chopped)
Small Red Onions /Shallots or Onion : 1/4 cup (finely, chopped)
Grated Coconut : 1/2 cup
Garlic : 2 pods (crushed)
Cumin Seeds : 1/4 tsp
Green Chillies : 3-4 (slit lengthwise) or to your tolerance level
Turmeric Powder : a pinch
Mustard Seeds : 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves : a sprig
Salt to taste
Oil : 2 tbsp
1. Wash and clean the Brussels Sprouts and cut off the hard bottom and remove the outer leaves then slice them into halves and pulse in a food processor.
2. Using your hands mix grated coconut with turmeric powder, shallots, cumin seeds, crushed garlic or you can just pulse 1 time everything together coarsely in blender.
3. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and when it starts to splutter, add curry leaves and saute for a minute.
4. Add the shredded Brussels sprouts; saute and close and cook for a minute.Add the coconut mixture and mix everything together.
. Cover the pan and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally; after 5 minutes remove the lid and stir fry for another couple of minutes. Remove from the fire.(Note : Do not over-cook – this is very important! They should still be crispy firm but tender.) Serve as side dish with rice or for roti’s and Enjoy!
- Brussels Sprouts should never be overcooked, it tastes good when it is slightly crunchy .
- Do not add water while cooking Brussels Sprouts; it will turn soggy.