Rava Idli Recipe – Steamed Semolina Cake Recipe – Semolina Idli Recipe
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Makes : 14 Idli’s (approx)
Semolina /Cream of Wheat /Rava : 1 cup
Thick Yogurt /Curd : 1 cup (well beaten)
Mustard Seeds : 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal /Black Gram : 1 tbsp
Channa Dal /Bengal Gram : 1 tbsp
Carrots : 2 (grated)
Ginger : 1″ grated
Green chilies : 3 (finely, chopped)
Curry leaves : 5-6 (finely, chopped) (optional)
Fresh Coriander Leaves : 2 tbsp (optional)
Grated Fresh Coconut : 1 tbsp
Water : 1/4 cup
Cashewnuts : 2 tbsp (roasted) (optional)
Baking Soda : 2 pinch (optional)
Ghee/Oil : 1 tbsp + for greasing Idly mould
Salt to taste
How to make Rava Idli – Semolina Idli :
1. Heat ghee or oil in a pan/kadai, add the mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the urad dal, chana dal and saute till the dal turns golden brown and nice aroma comes out.
2. Add the green chillis, curry leaves and grated ginger.
3. Now add the rava; reduce the flame on low to medium heat stir fry and roast the rava constantly for couple of minutes. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
4. In a large bowl, mix the roasted rava, beaten curd, grated carrot, coriander leaves, grated coconut, baking soda, water and salt; mix well and make thick batter.
5. Keep aside a few roasted cashews and add the rest to the batter. Close with a lid and let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
6. Place the idly maker and grease the idly mould with oil.
7. Place a roasted cashewnut on each of the greased idli plates and pour the rava batter over the cashewnut. Don’t let the batter fill till the brim.
8. Steam the rava idlis on medium flame for around 10 mins. Turn off heat and let it sit for 5 mins.
9. Remove the rava idlis carefully and serve hot with chutney of your choice or with sambar…Enjoy!
- A dash of ghee poured on the top of Rava Idli adds to the overall taste.
- You can add vegetables of your choice like bell pepper, corn, peas, beans etc.