Just discovering this recipe today, well… all the better!:)
If you’ve been around here for a while you know that I love all kinds of tasty curries. And, if you are like me, The good news is this tangy vendaka puli/ okra curry are simple to make and very delicious.
It’s been one of my favorite curry from my mom’s cooking repository. I love it when she prepares it, she is a awesome cook.Of course she taught me how to cook,but mine was never as good as hers.I miss most about my Mom is her cooking 🙁 I shared this recipe with a couple of my friends and they all tried and happy about the outcome. I hope you will have the same experience and be happy with this my mom’s /amma’s recipe…Enjoy!
Vendakka Puli Recipe- Palakkad Style | Okra-Ladies Finger Tamarind Curry Recipe
Preparation Time : 15 minute
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
Okra /Vendakka : 15-20 nos
Onion : 1 (medium ) or 1 cup (finely, chopped)
Tomato : 1 (medium) or 1 cup (finely, chopped)
Tamarind pulp/Vaalan puli : a lemon sized ball or 1tsp tamarind paste
Turmeric Powder : 1/2 tsp
Hot water : 1 cup + 1/2 cup for soaking tamarind
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
Grated coconut : 1/2 cup
Onion : 3 tbsp pieces (optional)
Coriander Powder :1 tbsp
Dry Red Chillies : 5 nos
Oil : 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Shallots/Small onions : 3-4 (finely, chopped)
Garlic : 2 cloves (finely, chopped)
Fenugreek seeds : 1 tsp
Curry leaves : few
How to cook Vendakka Puli – Palakkad Style | Okra-Ladies Finger Tamarind Curry :
1. Chop the ladies finger/okra/vendakka diagonally and keep it aside.
2. Soak tamarind pulp in hot water. Squeeze out the extract or dilute the tamarind paste in 1/2 cup hot water and keep aside.
3. Grind coconut, onion pieces, coriander powder and red chillies to a fine paste.
4. Heat little oil in the pan and add the chopped okra /ladies finger /vendakka pieces into the hot oil; fry for 5 mins or until the stickiness disappears.
5. Add the chopped onion and tomatoes and saute until they turns to translucent.
6. Pour the tamarind extract and 1 cup of hot water and turmeric powder in the pan and let it cook until the vegetable is cooked.
7. Add the ground coconut mixture, salt and let it boil for 5 more mins.
8. Heat oil in another small frying pan; splutter mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
9. Fry the onion & garlic pieces till golden brown and saute curry leaves.
10. Pour this seasoned mixture into the okra curry. Serve with hot steamed rice and Enjoy!
- Adjust the curry consistency to your needs by adding or reducing water.
Until next time, Bon Appetit,