Coming to recipe, This is a classic chicken preparation from Kerala. The boneless chicken pieces cooked in an earthenware pot or man chatty along with spiced grated coconut. The interesting part of this dish is the slow mixing procedure along with the perfect blend of spices, coconut oil, and curry leaves; which gives the dish rich and aromatic flavor. It is simple to prepare and tastes so delicious. It pairs well with almost anything you can think of – Flavored rice, Ghee rice, Kerala parotta, any Roti /Indian bread varities, biryani’s etc.
If you love Nadan style /Country style spicy recipes, this dish will definitely tingle your senses!
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4
Nadan Kozhi /Boneless Chicken : 1 lb / 1/2 kg (cut into very small pieces)
Shallots /Small : 25-30 nos /2 cups
Onion : 2 medium / 2 cups (thinly sliced)
Ginger : 1″ piece /1 tbsp (crushed)
Garlic : 4 pods /1 tbsp (crushed)
Green Chilly : 4-5 (slit lengthwise)
Curry Leaves : 4 springs
Coconut Grated : 1 cup
Red Chilly Powder : 2 tsp or to your tolerance level
Turmeric Powder : 1/2 tsp
Freshly Grounded Black Pepper Powder : 1/4 tsp or to your spice level
Homemade Garam Masala or Store Bought Garam Masala : 1 1/2 tsp (To Make Fresh Homemade Garam Masala : Fennel Seeds /Perum Jeerakam : 1 tsp, Cinnamon Stick/karugapatta : 2 inch pieces, Cloves/Grambu : 2, Star anise / Takkolam : 2, Green Cardamom /elakka : 2 pods)
Mustard Seeds : 1 tbsp
Coconut Oil : 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
How to make Nadan Kozhi Thoran – Chicken Thoran :
1. Clean and wash the chicken with little turmeric powder; drain and cut chicken into very small pieces.
2. Crush and blend shallots /red small onion using ammikkal (mortal and pestel set made out of stone) or in a food processor or blender; pluse them 2-3 times to coarse paste.
(Note : This recipe calls for coarse paste, so care should be taken not to be ground to smooth paste; If you have ammikkal it’s best to use to ground the mixture; that will enhance the natural flavors of the ingredients).
3. Using your hands mix grated coconut with 3 sprig curry leaves, green chillies, red chilli powder, 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder well and keep it aside.
4. Pour 2 tbsp of coconut oil in earthenware pot or man chatty or in a heavy bottomed pan and tilt the manchatty or pan in such a way that oil gets spread evenly.
6. Add the crushed ginger, crushed garlic and saute for couple of minutes.
7. Add 1 cup of thinly sliced onions and saute till it turns to light brown color.
8. Add the cleaned chicken pieces and now add the remaining 1 cup of thinly sliced onion and mix well. Close and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the chicken is 3/4 th cooked and start to ooze out water .
9. Now add reaming 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, salt, homemade garam masala, black pepper powder; mix well and cook for 5 more minutes.
10. Now add the spiced grated coconut mixture and combine well. Add the remaining 1 tbsp coconut oil and dry roast it in medium heat till browned up (Note : Stir in between to avoid burning and it takes 10 to15 minutes approximately. Do not close the lid after adding oil.) Once the chicken mixtures have attained the dark brown color and completely dried then remove from the fire.
11. Tasty Nadan Kozhi Thoran /Chicken Thoran is ready to serve…Serve as a side dish with
Flavored rice, Ghee rice, Kerala parotta, any Roti /Indian bread varities, biryani’s etc…Enjoy!
- You may adjust the spiciness by increasing or cutting down amount of chilli powder, pepper powder, green chillies according to your spice level.
- Adding lots of curry leaves boosts the flavour of this dish.
Related Posts :
Nadan Chicken and Potato Roast /Spicy Chicken and Potato Roast – Slow Cooked Version
Nadan Kozhi Varuthathu /Kerala Style Chicken Fry
Chicken Ularthiyathu /Ularthu /Olathu / Sauteed Chicken – Version 2
Chicken Ularthiyathu /Sauteed Chicken
Chettinad Pepper Chicken
Until next time, Bon Appetit,