Pal Payasam Recipe – Kerala Pal Payasam Recipe – Chawal Ki Kheer | Rice Milk Pudding Recipe
Whole Milk : 6 cups
Water : 3 cups
Raw Rice : 1/2 cup
Sugar : 2 cups (Increase or decrease according to ur sweet level)
Cardamom Powder : 1/4 tsp (optional)
Cashewnut : 10 (optional) (fried in ghee)
How to make Pal Payasam – Kerala Pal Payasam – Rice Milk Pudding :
1. Wash the rice well under running water,drain and keep it aside.
2. In a heavy bottomed vessel or uruli (Kerala style shallow kadai used for making payasam) add half the milk (3 cups) and half the quantity of water(11/2 cups) and bring it to boil on medium flame till it is reduced to half the volume.
3. Add the washed and drained rice and cook on medium heat till the rice is cooked.
4. Add the rest of the milk(3 cups) and water(11/2 cups),constantly stir untill the payasam thickens. (Note : when the water evaporates there is a tendency for this mixture to adhere to the bottom of the vessel/uruli, so keep stirring continuously).
5. When its almost cooked and its color changes to pale pink that is the time to remove the uruli/vessel from the fire.
6. Add sugar and cover the dish.(Note : Do not stir during this time).
7. Wait for 1/2 hour for the payasam to get homogenised and attain room temperature and now stir well.
8. Yummy Pal Payasam is ready to serve.Serve hot or chilled and enjoy!
- For authentic taste of pal payasam; what one needs is patience. It takes about 40-50 minutes for the Payasam to get ready. Do not hurry, the end result is worth the wait.
Click here for more Desserts/Pudding recipes