If your been here for while now, you know I often use to talk about food in regards to childhood memories. I’m adding one more thing onto my list of things that make me think of my childhood – this Ribbon Pakoda Snack. Growing up, we had a rotation of snack recipes that my mom would make for evening snack. One of those snacks and one of my sis favorite’s was this savory Kerala Pakkavada snack.
My sis is very slow eater whereas myself will finish everything in seconds and will try to grab her share..gee:) Crazy me! I use to fight for silly little things, and it was the best thing I ever did to her, but now I miss her very much ;( Those were days! So I am dedicating today’s post to her…Chechi this is for you, I hope your reading this 🙂 …
Ribbon Pakoda Recipe – Ola Pakkavada Recipe – Kerala Pakkavada Recipe
Roasted Rice flour : 1 cup
Besan/Gram flour : 2 cup
Red chilli powder : 1 1/2 tsp or to your spice level
Asafoetida : 1/2 tsp
Melted Butter : 1 1/2 Tbsp
Curry leaves fried for garnishing
Water : 11/2 cup (approx)
Oil for frying
How to make Ribbon Pakoda – Ola Pakkavada – Kerala Pakkavada :
1. In a mixing bowl, sift and add the rice flour, gram flour/besan, salt and red chilly powder. Mix well and drizzle melted butter.
2. Combine well and knead this into smooth dough by adding water little by little. (Note : It may stick to your hands at first but the butter will help to get smooth dough as you progress with kneading. The consistency that is little bit looser than chappathi dough.) Set aside.
3. Meanwhile heat oil in a deep frying pan. When hot check by adding a piece of the dough, if it comes to the surface promptly, oil is hot enough.
4. Fill the seva/idiyappam mould with the dough after putting the narrow slit disc/ pakkavada/ribbon pakoda disc in it.(picture shown above)
7. Just before switch off the heat, slowly slide in some curry leaves into the hot oil, Caution : it will splutter so close the pan immediately with a lid till all the splutters end. Drain them too and mix with the pakkavada.
8. Serve and enjoy with hot cup of tea in the evening or store in airtight containers and Enjoy!