The dish I present today is Kerala style chicken pepper fry, which is ‘S’ one of favorite dish and this is one dish, I used to make often in my earlier days of cookings, coz I’m sure this recipe never fails for me 🙂 He is a great fan of Black Pepper and he just love any dish with black pepper. I have already shared some fail proof recipe like Pepper Chicken with Gravy, Chettinad Pepper Chicken, Cashew Pepper Chicken some time back, which is some of the most popular posts on this blog. Here’s another take on it… Do give it a try. You are going to love this rich flavorful curry and Trust me folks you will never go wrong with this recipe …
Kerala Pepper Chicken Fry Recipe – Nadan Kurumulaku Kozhi Fry Recipe
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4
For Marination :
Chicken with bones : 1.1 lb /1/2 kg (cut into medium size pieces)
For Masala :
Garlic : 6 cloves (crushed )
Ginger : 1 medium sized pieces (crushed )
Green Chillies : 2-4 nos ( slit lengthwise)
Tomato : 2 medium sized (chop and grind it to a paste )
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Freshly Grounded Black Pepper Powder : 2-21/2 tsp or to your tolerances level
Homemade Grama Masala : 1/2 tsp (To Make Fresh Homemade Garam Masala : Fennel Seeds /Perum Jeerakam : 1 tsp, Cinnamon Stick/karugapatta : 2 inch pieces, Cloves/Grambu : 2, Star anise / Takkolam : 2, Green Cardamom //elakka : 2 pods (or) Use Store Bought Garam Masala : 1/4 tsp)
Coriander powder : 2 tsp
Curry leaves : 2 sprig
Salt to taste
Coconut oil : 2tbsp
How to make Fresh Homemade Garam Masala :
How to make Kerala Pepper Chicken | Nadan Kurumulaku Kozhi Fry :
1. Clean and wash the chicken pieces with turmeric powder and drain it.
2. Marinate the chicken for 1/2 hr to 1 hrs with above listed ingredients ‘For Marination’ and set it aside.
3. Heat 1tbsp of coconut oil in a pan; add few curry leaves followed by crushed ginger, crushed garlic and saute for couple of minutes. Now add finely chopped shallots (or) onion (whichever you use) and green chillies; saute it over medium-low heat till it turns to translucent.
4. Add coriander powder, turmeric powder and saute for a minute. Add ground tomato paste along with coupled of tbsp of water and cook till the tomatoes are nicely cooked and almost all water is evaporated.
5. Add marinated chicken pieces, mix it nicely and make sure that chicken pieces are coated with masala; adjust the salt and cook covered for around 20 minutes without adding water.
dry roast it till browned up . Do not close the lid after adding oil to roast the chicken.
9. Tasty Kerala Pepper Chicken is ready to serve. Serve as a side dish for steamed rice, roti, appam, or with any Indian Bread. Enjoy!
- This is a very hot dish. Add or reduce black pepper powder according to your taste.
- Using freshly ground pepper and coconut oil enhance the authentic taste and flavor.
Have a Wonderful Day!