Chicken Malai Kabab Anyone? Finally the wait for Chicken Kabab /Tikka post on my space is over. Tikka /Kabab is as well-known amongst Americans as Indians. And I have friends who love it so much, they make me take them to Indian restaurants when possible. My friends keep asking me…How come you have not published the famous Kabab recipe in your website?
Though, I would have made Chicken Malai Kabab /Murg Malai Tikka several times and this recipe has been lying in my draft for some time without pics.Whenever I made these, they were devoured in no time 🙂 I’ve been looking for a reason to make them again ever since, and they fit perfectly on our usual get-together with friends last weekend. This time I’m lucky enough to shoot some pics. Once you taste this dish you will know why photographing is a challenge.
Well, There are many versions of this recipe floating around food blogs and I have tried different version, but I choose this one because of lot of great flavor, and it is very delicious. I will have to probably post 3-4 versions from time to time. For now I’m posting this Afghani Murg Malai (Chicken) Kabab. I saw these yummy recipe here and then navigated to here. So I adapted and tried with my own magical touch 🙂 Believe me it was a super hit here.
Succulent cubes of chicken pieces marinated with cream and spices and grilled or baked in oven, then served with green chutney or sauce, is enough to tempt anyone on earth. All of the flavors of this simple marinade blend so perfectly together and compliment the chicken amazingly well. Sounds inviting, right? So why do you want to wait friends do give it a try. I’m sure you will like it and don’t forget to share your opinion with me 🙂
Have you tried these Chicken Recipes?
Chicken Malai Kabab/Afghan Murgh Malai Kabab /Murg Malai Tikka
- First Marinade :
- Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast or Chicken Thigh : 1 lb /1/2 kg (cut in medium-small chunks)
- Raw Papaya : one 1" piece (made into a paste)
- Ginger Garlic Paste : 2 tsp
- Lime Juice : 1 tbsp or ( you can substitute with vinegar : 1 tbsp)
- Salt to taste
- Second Marinate :
- Cashew nuts : 3 tbsp
- Milk : ¼ cup
- Cheddar cheese : 2 tbsp (finely grated)
- Cardamom Powder : ¼ tsp
- Freshly Grounded Black Pepper Powder : 2 tsp
- Freshly Grated Nutmeg : ¼ tsp
- Kasoori Methi : ¼ tsp
- Ground Cumin Powder /Jeera Powder : ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder : 1 tsp
- Eggs : 2
- Heavy Cream : 2 tbsp
- Oil /Ghee /Butter : 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the cleaned chicken chunks with all the ingredients listed above" 1st marinate" and keep it aside for half an hour to an hour.
- Meanwhile, Soak the cashew nut with milk for 10-15 minutes and blend it until you get a smooth paste.
- In another bowl, mix grated cheddar cheese, cardamom powder, salt, black pepper powder, garam masala powder, cumin seeds, kasoori methi along with cashew nuts milk paste.
- Whisk the eggs and heavy cream. Mix till everything is well incorporated, giving a smooth paste.
- Pour this mixture to the marinated chicken and mix well, so that all chicken chunks are well coated with the paste.
- Cover and leave it in refrigerator for 2-3 hours or overnight. (Note : More you marinate better the taste. For best result marinate overnight in the refrigerator; so that all the flavors will get into it.) Remove the chicken from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for ½ hrs or so. Take them out and wipe them and set it aside; This is to prevent the wooden skewers from being burn in oven or you can use metal skewers without soaking them in the water.
- This chicken malai kabab may be grilled or roasted. To Grill : Preheat oven under grill mode. Arrange the chicken pieces on skewers and place it under grill them on one side for 6-8 minutes and turn them around and baste them with left out marinade and with oil /ghee /butter midway. Let it grill for another 6 minutes or until chicken is tender and charred (or) To Broil : Keep it at 450 degree F, broil high for 6-8 minutes, again turning the sides in between or until the juices run clear and there are little brown spots on the chicken cubes. Keep it aside for 5 minutes; then serve and enjoy (or) If you don't prefer grilling, then you can bake.Place an aluminum foil on a baking tray, brush with oil and place the skewered chicken piece and bake for 10-15 minutes; take out the tray carefully using your oven mitts. Turn them over and baste it with marinade and with oil /ghee /butter using a brush or a spoon, return to oven and bake again for 10-15 minutes until the juices run clear and and there are little brown spots on the chicken cubes.Take out of the oven after 2-5 mins and let it cool slightly.
- Serve with a green chutney, onion, and lemon wedge as appetizers or with flavored rice and enjoy!
Make sure to grate the cheese finely, because only then it will stick to the chicken.
If you haven’t tried this Chicken Malai Kabab /Afghan Malai Murg Tikka, what are you waiting for? Do give it a try, you are going to love this yummy kabab…Enjoy! Don’t forget to share your opinions if you get chance to try this.
Until next time,Bon Appetite!
Like this Recipe? Sign up, and get more recipes delivered directly to your inbox.