Cooking Time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4
First Marinade :
Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast or Chicken Thigh : 1 lb /1/2 kg (cut in medium-small chunks)
Raw Papaya : one 1″ piece (made into a paste)
Salt to taste
Cashew nuts : 3 tbsp
Milk : 1/4 cup
Cheddar cheese : 2 tbsp (finely grated)
Freshly Grated Nutmeg : 1/4 tsp
Kasoori Methi : 1/4 tsp
Ground Cumin Powder /Jeera Powder : 1/2 tsp
Oil /Ghee /Butter : 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
How to Make Chicken Malai Kabab /Afghan Malai Murg Tikka :
1. Marinate the cleaned chicken chunks with all the ingredients listed above” 1st marinate” and keep it aside for half an hour to an hour.
2. Meanwhile, Soak the cashew nut with milk for 10-15 minutes and blend it until you get a smooth paste.
3. In another bowl, mix grated cheddar cheese, cardamom powder, salt, black pepper powder, garam masala powder, cumin seeds, kasoori methi along with cashew nuts milk paste.
4. Whisk the eggs and heavy cream. Mix till everything is well incorporated, giving a smooth paste.
5. Pour this mixture onto the marinated chicken and mix well, so that all chicken chunks are well coated with the paste.
6. Cover and leave it in refrigerator for 2-3 hours or overnight. (Note : More you marinate better the taste. For best result marinate overnight in the refrigerator; so that all the flavors will get into it.) Remove the chicken from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking.
7. Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 1/2 hrs or so. Take them out and wipe them and set it aside; This is to prevent the wooden skewers from being burn in oven or you can use metal skewers without soaking them in the water.
8. This chicken malai kabab may be grilled or roasted. To Grill : Preheat oven under grill mode. Arrange the chicken pieces on skewers and place it under grill them on one side for 6-8 minutes and turn them around and baste them with left out marinade and with oil /ghee /butter midway. Let it grill for another 6 minutes or until chicken is tender and charred (or) To Broil : Keep it at 450 degree F, broil high for 6-8 minutes, again turning the sides in between or until the juices run clear and there are little brown spots on the chicken cubes. Keep it aside for 5 minutes; then serve and enjoy (or) If you don’t prefer grilling, then you can bake.Place an aluminum foil on a baking tray, brush with oil and place the skewered chicken piece and bake for 10-15 minutes; take out the tray carefully using your oven mitts. Turn them over and baste it with marinade and with oil /ghee /butter using a brush or a spoon, return to oven and bake again for 10-15 minutes until the juices run clear and and there are little brown spots on the chicken cubes.Take out of the oven after 2-5 mins and let it cool slightly.
9. Serve with a green chutney, onion, and lemon wedge as appetizers or with flavored rice and enjoy!
- Temperature setting and cooking time may vary depending on oven, so adjust the timing accordingly.
- Make sure to grate the cheese finely, because only then it will stick to the chicken.
Until next time, Bon Appetit,