Yes, as you all know I love the nadan food, which is extremely hot and spicy, so full of flavors! So this is for all the hot and spicy food lovers out there ..
Meen Thala Curry Recipe- Kerala’s Kallu Shappu Special-Fish Head Curry – Toddy Shop Special
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 45 mins
Serves : 4
Fish head pieces (Nenmeen /King Fish,Vatta / Bluefin Trevally are best for this curry, or you can try
with Ayala /Mackerel ) :
Kudampuli /Fish Tamarind:
3-5(soaked in warm water for 5 mins)
Water : 6 cups
3 (finely, chopped)
8-10 cloves (crushed)
1″ piece (crushed)
Red Chilli Powder :
21/2 tbsp or to your spice level
Turmeric Powder :
Turmeric Powder :
Coriander Powder :
Semi Thick Coconut Milk :
Mustard Seeds :
Fenugreek Seeds :
Curry Leaves :
Coconut Oil :
How to make Meen Thala Curry – Fish Head Curry :
1. In a pan, boil 6 cups of water and add a pinch of turmeric powder, salt and kudampuli /Fish Tamarind. To this add the fish heads; cover and cook well.
2. In a cooking vessel (preferably in ‘Kalchatti’ an Earthen pot), add oil and splutter mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
3. Add crushed ginger, crushed garlic and chopped onions. Saute them well till the raw smell disappears and onions turn translucent and light brown color.
4. Now add red chilly powder, turmeric and coriander powders and combine it.(Note : Take care not burn the spices)
5. Now reduce the flame to medium- low, Add the coconut milk.When it starts boiling add the cooked fish heads along with kudam puli; check and adjust the salt; swirl the pan in such a way that all the fish head pieces totally immersed in the gravy. Close and cook it for 5-8 mins(approx) or till the fish head completely absorbs it.
6. Open the lid and add some curry leaves, drizzle little coconut oil and keep covered for 10-20 minutes, let the flavor set.
7. Delicious Meen thala curry /Fish head Curry is ready. Serve with steamed rice, Kappa or with Appam…Enjoy!
- This is a very hot dish. Add or reduce chilli powder according to your taste. Optional – To bring down the heat, if you want can substitute red chilli powder with kashmiri chilli powder or paprika .
- Keep this curry closed for at least 20 minutes before serving, so that the gravy absorbs all flavors.
- The taste of the curry depends the quality of the coconut milk. I prefer using fresh squeezed coconut milk.
- I have used King Fish head, in this recipe, you can use vatta / bluefin trevally, ayala /mackerel fish head for this recipe.
Related Posts :
Kerala Fish Curry- Angamaly StyleNey Meen Curry /Seer Fish Curry
Meen Manga Curry /Fish Mango CurryVarutha Ayala Curry /Fried Mackerel Curry/Ayala Curry
Kerala Fish Curry
Meen Vevichathu /Kottayam Style Fish Curry/Spicy Fish Curry
Varutharacha Meen Muringakka Pacha Manga Curry /Fish with Raw Mango & Drumstick in Roasted Coconut
Fish Molee /Meen Molee /Kerala Style Fish Stew with Coconut Milk
Nadan Mathi Chaala Curry /Kerala Sardiness Curry
Meen Thengapal Curry /Fish Coconut Milk CurryMeen Mulakittathu /Spicy Red Fish Curry