Yet another popular North Indian classic recipe Paneer Butter Masala -Butter Paneer -Paneer Makhani!
Paneer Makhani is a delicious Punjabi dish (punjab is a state in north India), which is quiet popular in all restaurant around the world. Soft paneer cubes (Indian Cottage cheese), cooked in a buttery, mildly spicy rich tomato gravy. The word makhani comes form makhan which means butter.It is pretty easy to get the ‘restaurant taste and look’ at home, with this simple recipe.
It’s a winner recipe, I have used this recipe for many years now. I make this when we have a friends or family around. It’s a nice, no-fuss recipe that everyone seems to love. You can even make the makhani sauce ahead and freeze it, when everybody is ready to eat toss the paneer into it. Sounds easy rite?
Paneer butter masala -Butter Paneer goes very well as side dish with Naan, Chapati, any Indian Bread or even with Ghee Rice. If you are looking for a rich recipe to entertain friends or simply as an everyday treat, look no further – this will surely hit the spot!
Other Makhani & Paneer Recipes You Might Like :
How to make Paneer Butter Masala Recipe | Paneer Makhani | Butter Paneer Recipe – Restaurant style
- Paneer : 1 cup /250 grms /14 oz (homemade or store bought, cut into cubes)
- Onion : 1 no (large, chopped)
- Tomato : 4 (large, chopped) or (Tomato Puree)
- Thick Fresh Cream : ½ cup
- Green Chilly : 1 no (julienned)
- Ginger-Garlic Paste : 1 tbsp
- Cashew or Almond : 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder : ¼ tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder /Paprika /Cayenne : 1 tbsp
- Kasuri Methi Powder : 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala : ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Butter : 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak the cashew or almonds in the warm water for 10 minutes and peel the skin, dry on kitchen towel and keep it aside.
- If you are using store bought paneer, then briefly soak them in salted hot water to make it soft and tasty. To do the above, heat 2 cups of water for couple of minutes and add a teaspoon of salt to the water and drop the paneer cubes for 2 minutes and drain the water and set it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil and 2 tbsp of butter, add chopped tomatoes,and saute for a minute,now add chopped onions and almonds or cashews and cook until it turns soft and pulpy.
- Remove from the fire, cool for sometimes and grind the tomatoes into fine paste and set it aside.
- Now for the gravy heat the pan on medium heat, melt 3 tbsp butter.
- Add ginger garlic paste, green chilles julienne, saute it till the raw smell goes. (Note : take care not burn the spices)
- Add the kashmiri red chilli and mix well, now strain the tomato paste and pour the tomato paste /tomato puree and mix well; cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Now add salt and gram masala, bring to a boil and then lower the heat and cook for 5-8 minutes till the juice from the tomatoes evaporates.
- Meanwhile dry roast the kasuri methi for a minute and remove from the fire and keep it aside.
- Add paneer cubes mix well and add fresh cream, crush the kasuri methi in between your palms and add it to the gravy and mix well and cook for 2 more minutes and remove from the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Butter and cream were used to cook this basic sauce. If you do not want to indulge the butter/ghee may be replaced with cooking oil and the cream may be substituted with half & half, or even regular whole milk.
To get nice red color to Butter Paneer-Paneer Makhani-Paneer Butter Masala in natural way. Use kashmiri chilli powder or paprika. It gives nice red color and low in heat.
Hope you will try this Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala -Paneer Makhani and enjoy as much we did. Serve with Naan,Chapati/Roti,or with any Indian Bread or with Pulao and Enjoy! Kindly do revert back to me if you try…would love to hear your opinion.
Have a wonderful day!
Like this Recipe? Sign up, and get more recipes delivered directly to your inbox.