I adapted this recipe from Southern Living-Quick and Easy Weekend Meals cookbook and tweaked it according to my family taste-bud. The best thing about this recipe is it can be pan fried,baked or grilled
I baked it, if you have access to grill, then you can grill it or if you don’t have an oven, then don’t worry, go ahead and pan fry it. Either way it’s going to taste delicious- perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or cookout and so versatile. You can serve these drumstick on their own, kids love them…Do give it try and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Baked Chicken Drumsticks with Fresh Herbs | Kerala Style Baked Mint Coriander Chicken Drumstick Recipe
Preparation Time : 30 mins to 1 hr
Cooking Time : 30 mins
Serves : 4-6
Chicken Drumsticks : 8 nos (You could use skin-on drumsticks or skinless.)
To Grind for Marinade :
Onion : 1 small, (chopped)
Ginger : 1″ piece
Green chillies : 2 no’s
Coriander Leaves /Cilantro : 1 cup (chopped)
Mint Leaves : 3/4 cup (chopped)
Curry leaves : 2 sprig
Cashew nut : 4 nos (optional)
Whole Black Pepper : 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
While Baking/Grilling/Pan frying :
Olive oil or Vegetable oil : for coating
Lemon juice to sprinkle on baked drumsticks
How to make Baked Mint, Coriander/Cilantro Chicken Drumsticks:
1. In a blender/mixie; add all the ingredients listed above ‘To Grind for Marinade’ and grind it to a smooth thick paste by adding enough water.
2. In a bowl, marinate the drumsticks with the grounded herb mixture, and set aside for around 30 mins to 1 hr or overnight in the refrigerator.(Note : More marinating time the softer the chicken will be)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F /200 C..Line a baking tray with aluminum foil and brush lightly with some olive oil.
2. Place the marinated chicken drumstick on baking tray and baste little olive oil on top.After you take the drumsticks out of the marinade, you will still have some marinade left on the bowl, keep that marinate aside.
3. Bake for 30-35 minutes, flipping it over after 15 mins and baste them with left out marinade and with olive oil and bake for 15 mins.
4. Before taking it out, sprinkle lemon juice over the baked drumsticks and bake for 2 more mins.
(or) If your grilling
1. Have the grill ready, grease the grill with non-stick cooking spray, place the drumsticks on the grill and grill it covered at medium high heat. Flip it over; baste them with left out marinade and with olive oil, grill till it gets browned or until chicken drumstick is tender and charred.
2. Before taking it out, sprinkle lemon juice over each drumsticks, grill it for a 2 more mins and remove it from the grill.( (Note : Do not overcook it or the chicken will become chewy, it should be juicy inside and crispy outside.) (or) You can pan fry
Pan frying :
1. Heat a non- stick tava or cast iron grill pan and add 3 tbsp olive oil or cooking oil. place the marinted chicken drumstick without crowding and fry them on a medium flame for about 10-12 minutes or till it turns golden brown in color.
2. Turn them over and baste them generously with left out marinade and with olive oil, flipping it over occasionally; cook all sides for another 5 minutes or till the chicken is light brown in color from all sides.(Note : If you want you could add more oil) Towards the end of frying, sprinkle lemon juice over the drumsticks.
Serve immediately along with some lemon, onion wedges and relish it with green chutney as appetizers or with rice as side dish. Enjoy!
- Temperature setting and cooking time may vary depending on oven/grill so adjust the timing accordingly.
Related Posts :
- Tandoori Chicken
- Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Drumstick
- Chicken Puffs – Bakery style
- Chicken Tikka – Murg Tikka
Catch you with more yummy updates!