Prepration Time : 20 mins
Cooking Time : 30 mins
Serves : 4
Raw rice/Rice flour : 2 cups
Grated coconut : 1 cup
Cumin Seeds : 1-2 pinch (optional)
Salt to taste
Water : to sprinkle
For Meat Masala:
Minced Chicken or Beef : 1 cup (I have used chicken)
Fennel seeds : 2 pinch
Shallots/Small onion : 10-15 (finely chopped)
Ginger : 1/2 tsp (chopped finely)
Garlic : 1/2 tsp (chopped finely)
Green chillies : 3 (slit lengthwise)
Tomato : 1/2 of 1 (chopped finely)
Red chilly Powder : 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder : 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Gram Masala Powder : 1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves : 1 sprig
Salt to taste
Oil : 1 tbsp
How to make Erachi Puttu – Masala Erachi Puttu :
Cooking Erachi /Meat Masala :
1. Heat oil in a pan, add fennel seeds,chopped ginger,chopped garlic and saute for a minute.
2. Add the chopped onion and saute till turns to translucent, now add curry leaves, green chillies and turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and 1/4 tsp of garam masala and saute till the raw smell goes, now add chopped tomato and saute till it turns soft and mushy.
3. Add the minced chicken,salt to taste and let it cook thoroughly; it take 10-12 minutes.When it is almost done sprinkle 1/4 tsp garam masala to retain the aroma of the spices. Once it is done, let it cool down a bit in room temperature.
Preparing Puttu flour:
1. Dry roast rice flour over medium heat, stirring continuously. After about 5 minutes remove from the stove, and let it cool.
2. Add salt to 1 cup of water and wet the puttu podi/rice powder, a little at a time, and mix well till you reach breadcrumbs consistency. (Note : The flour mixture should be wet but not lumpy. The right consistency is reached when you press little flour in your fist and it forms a shape and not crumble off.)
3. Optional – Add little cumin seeds and scrapped coconut into the mixture and mix well.
1. Fill your pressure cooker or puttu kudam with water till two thirds full. Place on the stove. Take the cylindrical tube part or cherata puttu kutti, insert the flat disk with holes at the bottom of the tube.
2. Make a first layer with a tablespoon of grated coconut, another layer with cup of puttu flour mixture, third layer with meat mixture, one more layer with puttu mixture and sprinkle some grated coconut on top. (Note : You should not stack the mixture, must be loosely filled and not packed.)
3. Cover the cylinder tube or chiratta puttu kutti and place on the cooker spout or on puttu kudam once the steam starts coming out.
4. Steam for 6-8 minutes; when the puttu is cooked, steam will start coming through the holes on the lid. Remove the tube from the pot and open the lid. Using the handle of a large spoon, slowly push the puttu, and slide it onto a plate or if cheratta puttu then remove and invert the cheratta puttu maker on to a plate and slowly lift. If it is cooked well, then the will come off of very easily, in the shape of the coconut shell itself.
5. Serve hot with Pappadam and yellow small bananas and Enjoy!