I have posted chemmeen-shrimp pickle here before, this is not much different from a konju-chemmeen pickle, in procedure wise but quiet different in the sense of fish used. I can guarantee that this is a keeper recipe and trust me, you want to make this recipe, because the final product will blow you away! Thats how delicious it is… Maybe you should just try them and decide for yourselves what the taste is instead of letting me ramble on forever, sound like a plan? Do try and let me know your valuable feedback! Enjoy!
Fenugreek Powder/Uluva : couple of pinches
To Make Paste :
Red Chilly Powder : 3 tsp or to your spice level
Ginger : 1 pod (finely sliced)
Garlic : a big piece (finely sliced)
Green Chillies : 7 (slit lengthwise)
Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds : 1/4 tsp
Asafetida /Hing /Kayam : a large pinch
Curry Leaves : 2 sprig
Vinegar : 1 cup or as required
Gingelly Oil /Sesame Oil /Nallenna : 3/4 cup
Salt to taste
- Be cautious not to get the pickle in contact with water…Use only clean dry spoon to scoop the pickle from the jar. Do not use wet spoon which adds moisture and the pickle very easily get “fungus” and that spoils the whole pickle.Even a small drop of water makes this pickle spoil soon. Even while serving the pickle, make sure the spoon you put in this container is very dry. Better yet, transfer small quantity in a smaller container which can be used to serve.
- Best to use small mathi/chala/sardine fish. If you are using big fish then cut it into small pieces.
- If you feel the salty and spice is more, not to worry it will subside after few days. The fish pieces will absorb all the flavors will become very soft.
- If you wish you can add any other oil, using sesame oil gives authentic & special flavor to the pickle and it helps pickle stay longer.
- This pickle stay for more than a months, if they are conserved properly.
- If the oil seems to less add boiled and cooled oil to the top of the pickle..This will prevent fungus.
- Add or reduce the chilly powder to the pickle.
- Avoid using steel container for storing..Always store in dry ceramic jar /bharani or a glass jar and please note to clean the bottle and caps you planning to use for pickle with hot water and wipe and dry well without any water content.
Related Posts :