How about Chemmeen -Prawns Vada ?
I spend lot time apologizing to you all before for being inactive but once again, it stands all the same. Please accept my humble apologize. Life in all have kept me busy that I don’t have much time to post something up here but I am (somehow) back!
I feel really gulity because there’s quite a number of recipe requests and questions in my comment inbox which I haven’t finished. I promise will be answering each mail and will post all the recipe request slowly one by one. Thank you all for great support and I hope we can meet more often.
Wondering how it made? It can be prepared in couple of ways either you can cook the chemmeen -prawns first or use it as raw; then grind along with all other ingredients and form a patties then deep/shallow fry it. Either way it tastes delicious. Final product will be spiced golden fried patties of freshly or cooked minced prawn meat…Yes as simple as this sounds.
Other Vada Recipe you Might Like:
How to make Chemmeen -Prawns Vada | Kerala Style Prawn-Shrimp Cutlet-Patties Recipe
- Prawns/Shrimp/Chemmeen :1.1 lb /1/2 kg or around 15-20 large ones
- Small Red Onions/Pearl Onions : 4-6 (chopped)
- Ginger :1" piece (finely chopped)
- Garlic : 2 cloves (finely chopped)
- Green chilly : 4 nos or as per (finely chopped)
- Grated Cococnut : ¾ cup (optional)
- Turmeric powder :1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly powder :1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder : ½ tsp
- Garam Masala or Meat Masala : ¼ tsp
- Rice flour : 1 tsp (optional)
- Curry leaves : 1 sprig (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Oil : as required for deep/shallow fry
- If you prefer uncooked version, chop the raw prawns; transfer to mixer and grind it along with all the ingredients listed above except oil to a coarse mixture. (OR) If you prefer cooked version then clean prawns, add turmeric powder and salt; cook covered in a low flame for about 2-3 mins. (Note: No need to add water as the shrimp will get cooked in its own water). Allow to cool.
- Transfer the cooked prawns to a mixer and grind it along with all ingredients listed above except oil to a coarse mixture.
- Now transfer the grounded mixture to a bowl; Optional : add rice flour and combine well.Check and adjust the salt.
- Heat oil in frying pan; When the oil becomes hot, the flame to medium.
- Grease your palms with little oil and make a small round balls from the dough; flatten into thin patties using your hands and deep fry in oil one by one, after 2 minutes go on turning the vada’s both sides and fry till its crispy (OR) If you to pan fry then fry at medium-low heat and cover with a lid for a 3-4 minutes in between so that the inside part is also cooked well.
- Drain and place on plate towel. Serve warm with rice or enjoy as a snack!
I hope you give this Chemmeen -Prawns Vada a try, and like it, that you add it to your regular recipe rotation. Don’t forget to leave your opinion if you try. Enjoy!