Hellooo, How is it going? It’s been long time. Just got tied up with work and travelling. Couldn’t even find time to open my laptop (Yep!!! No electronics except phone for last few days. That become dream nowdays right? Of course no phone will be wonderful too…). Hope everyone is having a wonderful time. This time I am back with Sri Lankan Egg Curry which is another favorite for lots of homes.
When it comes to cooking it take less time to cook than to decide. “What to cook” decision-making is the toughest part for me. I guess many of you might have come across this? I guess at least some of you agree with me. Egg always comes to my rescue, at times when the hours tickle by and I think no further than an easy egg recipes.
This is another recipe that has made the rounds of many blogs. I tried Sri Lankan Egg Curry first when Suji shared it on her blog sujiscookbook long back and it’s pretty simple, yet tasty egg curry and she adapted from Raghavan Iyer’s 660 curries cookbook. Lately, my neighbor friend shared another variation of the same Egg Curry – Sri Lanka Style, her recipe is from Chef Peter Kuruvita’ s cookbook.Both recipes tastes delicious and super fast to put together, chances are you have everything on hand already.
So today I bring you Sri Lankan Style Egg Curry adapted from Chef Peter Kuruvita’s. This Sri Lankan style egg curry calls for deep-frying hard-boiled egg first which gives it a soft rubbery like exterior that absorbs the gravy and the main ingredients like Maldives fish flakes,pandanus leaf and dill seeds gives the curry its distinct traditional taste. This would be a perfect side dish for a weekday meals or dinner,it goes with almost anything and sure to win the hearts of egg lovers! Pairs well with Appam, Idiyappam and Chapathi/Roti.
How to make Sri Lankan Egg Curry-Egg Curry – Sri Lankan Style :
Boil the egg and deshell the cooked eggs, prick them all over with a fork and lightly salt them.
Heat oil in a pan; deep or shallow fry the eggs for a minute or until golden, flipping sides as and when required then drain on paper towel and keep it aside.In a heavy-based saucepan; add all the remaining ingredients and simmer over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until the onions are soft and the sauce has thickened.
Have you tried these Egg recipes?
- Eggs : 6
- Oil : 1 tbsp + enough for deep or shallow fry the eggs
- Red Chilli Powder : 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder : ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
- Cinnamon Sticks : 1 inch piece
- ldive Fish Fakes : 1 tbsp (optional) (see notes)
- Onion : 1 finely chopped
- Green Chillies : 2 finely chopped
- Curry Leaves : 1 spring
- Pandanus Leaf : 1 inch piece
- Dill Seeds : ¼ tsp
- Coconut Milk : 11/2 cup
- Boil the egg and deshell the cooked eggs, prick them all over with a fork and lightly salt them.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep or shallow fry the eggs for a minute or until golden, flipping sides as and when required then drain on paper towel and keep it aside.
- In a heavy-based saucepan; add all the remaining ingredients and simmer over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until the onions are soft and the sauce has thickened.
- Add the fried eggs and continue to cook for another 5 minutes then adjust the salt to taste and mix everything gently and remove from the fire.
- Serve with Appam, Idiyappam, Roti/Chapati and enjoy.
If you haven’t tried yet,do try this Egg Curry – Sri Lankan Style and let me know how it turned out for you. Enjoy!
Like this Recipe? Sign up, and get more recipes delivered directly to your inbox.