Carrot Pal Payasam! Wishing all the Malayalees a prosperous, healthy, wealthy and happy Onam!
Hi All, Getting ready for ONAM? What’s special for this ONAM? Done with your shopping? Ready to welcome Mahabali 🙂 ?…Planning to make sadya? Decided on payasam? I have. Every year I always made traditional payasam like Palada Pradhaman or Ada Pradhaman, etc…for a change this time I decided to make creative yet very tasty one. I will post that payasam recipe after Onam. I’m sure most of you would have never heard about it 🙂 so stay tuned!
Let’s talk about today’s recipe… I’m here with yet another easy and tasty payasam, only with 4 ingredients. Yes I meant it. It’s Carrot Pal Payasam in pressure cooker. Have ever tried pal payasam with carrot?Usually making most of payasam is laborious and time-
Last week I met a new malayali neighbor and when I was talking to her y’day. She recognized me 🙂 asked me if my site is kothiyavunu.com? and she was asking why no regular posts ;( even lot’s of emails and messages from reader asking what’s wrong? Am I avoiding…Nooooo that’s not fair. How can I forget my baby? As usual struck with work and busy routines, not finding enough time to shoot and work on posts. Blame my time management.;) So once again kick starting my wagon with tasty carrot pal payasam. I always made this for guests or for some potluck parties, so I always miss taking pictures. Today I purposely prepared this carrot pal payasam to share with you all 🙂 Hope you all will try this easy payasam for this onam and like it as much as we do.
Have you tried these Traditional Payasam’s?
How to make Carrot Pal Payasam – Pressure Cooker Method :
Grate the carrot. In a pressure cooker, add 2 tbsp of ghee; add the grated carrot and cook, stirring until raw smell goes. Now add the sugar and stir for a few minutes until the sugar melts completely. Add the rice and mix well.
Now add the milk and mix everything together in a cooker. Close the lid without weight on; let it boil.When the steam starts coming put the weight on and cook on medium heat for one whistle, after 1st whistle lower the flame and cook for another 20 minutes. Switch off the heat and leave it on the stove until all the steam has gone. (Optional) Allow to sit for at least 1 hours before opening and transferring the payasam to serving dish.The more you keep the more tasty payasam you will get.
- Carrot : 4 (medium)
- Kerala Red Rice (unakkalari) or Basmati/Sona Masoori/Long Grain Rice : ¼ cup (I used Basmati)
- Sugar : ¾ to 1 cup ( depending on your preference)
- Milk : 4 cups ( I used whole milk)
- Ghee : 2 tbsp
- Cardamom Powder : 2 pinches
- Chopped nuts for garnishing (Optional)
- Grate the carrot. In a pressure cooker, add 2 tbsp of ghee; add the grated carrot and cook, stirring until raw smell goes.
- Now add the sugar and stir for a few minutes until the sugar melts completely.
- Add the rice and the milk and mix everything well together in a cooker. Close the lid without the weight on and let it boil,
- When the steam starts coming put the weight on and cook on medium heat for one whistle and after 1st whistle lower the flame and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and leave it on the stove until all the steam has gone.
- (Optional) Allow to sit for at least 1 hours before opening and transferring the payasam to serving dish.The more you keep the more tasty payasam you will get.
- Serve warm or chilled and Enjoy!
After preparing the payasam gets thicker once it cools down. You could adjust the consistency at any time by adding boiled milk into the payasam.
Use a big pressure cooker to make this payasam or it is likely to over flow.
I made this payasam in the pressure cooker, so it was quick and easy but you can also make this in a slow cooker or the traditional way-cooking it in a urli- wide pan, though you have to stir continuously so that the milk at the bottom of the pan doesn't burn.
If you wish to try traditional pal payasam using pressure cooker just omit grated carrot and follow the rest of steps.
I hope you try this easy Pressure cooker Carrot Pal Payasam for this Onam and let me know how it turned out for you.
Like this Recipe? Sign up, and get more recipes delivered directly to your inbox.RECOMMENDED RECIPES!