Erissery is one of the traditional recipe of Kerala (South India). It is made with combination of vegetables and pulses using ground coconut paste and finally seasoned with roasted coconut.
Merger between sweetness of pumpkin and coconut takes your taste buds to another level. From south to north you can find a lot of variety recipes for preparing an erissery. Erissery is a good accompaniment with Kerala Red Rice and with Kanji. Try it and I am sure you will like it.Enjoy!
Other Pumpkin-Mathanga Recipes You Might Also Like
Erissery -Sadya Special | Mathanga (Pumpkin) Erissery – Pumpkin and Red Beans with Roasted Coconut
- Yellow Pumpkin /Mathanga : 1 cup (diced)
- Red oriental beans/Van payar : ½ cup
- Turmeric powder /Manjal podi : ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- To Grind :
- Small Onion /Shallots : 1-2 (optional)
- Green Chillies : 3-4
- Grated Coconut : ½ cup
- Cumin Seeds : ½ tsp
- For Tempering :
- Dry Red Chillies : 2 nos
- Grated Coconut : 4 tbsp
- Curry leaves : 1 sprig
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Coconut Oil : 2 tsp
- Soak red beans overnight; pressure cook the beans with enough water, red chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt for 4-5 whistle. After the pressure settles open the cooker.
- Add the pumpkin piece and cook uncovered till the pumpkin turns to soft and tender; when the pumpkin and beans is cooked slightly mash the pumpkin pieces.
- Grind grated coconut, cumin seeds, green chillies and small onions with little water to coarsed smooth paste (Note : The paste should not be watery, it should be in chutney consistency.)
- Add this ground coconut paste and mix thoroughly with pumpkin and red beans.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan , add mustard seeds when its starts to splutter, add dry red chillies, grated coconut and curry leaves and fry till they turn golden brown. (Note : Be sure not to burn it)
- Pour this tempering and drizzle ½ tsp of coconut oil over the gravy, mix well and adjust the salt.
- Serve with hot Kerala Red Rice and papadam. Enjoy!
You can make erissery using Yam, Raw Banana, Raw Papaya, Jackfruit
Prepare the erissery using coconut oil, if you want the authentic Kerala taste.
The consistency of the dish should be reasonably thick
Hope you all will enjoy making this Mathanga Vanpayar Erissery.Don’t forget to let me know your opinion if you try.
Happy Cooking and Happy Eating!
Like this Recipe? Sign up, and get more recipes delivered directly to your inbox.