Mezhukkupuratti is yet another wonderful Kerala (South India) recipe which means coated with oil.The vegetables are boiled with little water and tossed with seasoned oil. This is sort of a comfort food and I make it spicy with all the tempering. Love to have that with some curd and rice.
Recipe for Vazakka /Ethakka /Kaya Mezhukkupuratti /Stir-fried Raw Plantains
Raw Banana /Pachakkaya : 1 big,(cut into small cubes)
Garlic : 1 tbsp (crushed)
Small Red Onion/Shallots : 5-7 (crushed)
Crushed redchilli flakes : 2 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves : a sprig
Coconut oil : 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Method of Perparation:
1. In a cooking vessel/pan, add banana cubes with little water,turmeric powder and salt, cover bring to boil and cook for 5 mintues.
2. When the pieces turn soft, uncover and keep on fire till the water evaporates completely.
3. Heat oil in a pan and crackle the mustard seeds. add the crushed garlic, crushed red chilli flakes, crushed shallots and curry leaves and saute till it turns to golden brown.
4. Add the boiled banana pieces and combine well...Serve hot with curd & rice.
- I perfer coconut oil for Upperi/Mezhukkupuratti ,since the coconut oil gives the dish a very unique flavor and taste.
For more Veg Side Dishes recipes click here