Vegetable Kurma is a delicious, very popular restaurant recipe in South India.
Kurma has many versions and today I would like to share Kerala style Vegetable Kurma-Korma. I know you 🙂 most of you are looking for restaurant style kurma-korma recipe, for sure I will post that recipe too very soon…stay tuned!
The kurma we get in restaurant is more of a thick version with yellow-greenish in colour slightly mashed vegetables and tasting of coconut milk and spices.Whereas this homemade Kerala style vegetable kurma is pale yellow in colour, tasting of coconut and fennel.
If you haven’t tried this Kerala Vegetable Kurma yet, what are you waiting for?
How to make Vegetable Kurma-Kerala Style Vegetable Kurma
- Onions : 1 (medium)
- Tomatoes : 1 (medium)
- Potato : 1 (medium)
- Carrot : 1 (medium)
- Beans : ¼ cup
- Green peas : ½ cup (cooked)
- Cinnamon :1" piece
- Curry leaves : 1 spirg
- Coriander leaves : to garnish
- Oil : 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- For Grinding :
- Grated Coconut : ½ cup
- Green Chillies : 3-4 or to your spice level
- Ginger,Garlic paste : 2 tsp
- Poppy seeds/Khuskhus : 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds ; 1 tsp
- Grind all the above listed "For Grinding" ingredients with little water to a smooth paste.
- Cut the vegetables into medium sized piece
- Cook all the chopped vegetables with little water and salt to taste or you can pressure cook the vegetables for 1 whistle and opened it after 5 minutes.If the pressure has not subsided, you can pour little water on top or show it on the running water; of the cooker to release the pressure and then open it. (Note: Take care, if cooking in the pressure cooker as the vegetables should not mushy)
- Heat oil in a pan, add cinnamon, curry leaves, chopped onions and fry until onions become translucent.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and saute for few seconds now add all the cooked vegetables and add little water to it, cook for 5 mins.(Note : Kurma should be in thick consistency so take care while adding water. Do not add excess water).
- Add the grounded coconut paste and fry for another 5-8 min until all the raw smell goes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with Appams, Noolappam /String Hopper,Poratta. or Indian Bread and Enjoy!
Take care, if your cooking vegetables in the pressure cooker, vegetables should not be mushy
Hope you get to try this Kerala Style Vegetable Kurma with Kerala parotta and like them too. Don’t forget to share your opinion. Enjoy!
Like this Recipe? Sign up, and get more recipes delivered directly to your inbox.