Let’s move on to the recipe…
Ela Ada Recipe | Ila Ada Recipe | Vazhayila Ada Recipe | Steamed Rice Parcel in Banana Leaf
Rice Flour : 1cup (roasted)
Salt to taste
Cardamon powder : 1/4 tsp
Banana leafs : 4 pieces
Grated Coconut : 1 cup
Grated Jaggery : 1/2 cup
Salt a pinch
A pinch of coconut milk (optional)
How to make Ela Ada – Ila Ada – Vazhayila Ada :
1. Mix coconut jaggery,cardamom powder with your hands very well until well combined and soft.
2. Spread half tsp of oil all over the leaf with the fingers.
3. Make a dough (like chappathi dough,not too watery) by adding hot water and salt.
4. Place lemon size dough in the center of the leaf, flatten it with finger and spread the filling on it.
5. Fold the leaf in half. Tuck the ends of the leaf.
6. Place the adas in a steamer/idly cooker and steam it for 10 minutes.Ela Ada is ready to serve it warm or after it cools down.
- Here in US the jaggery we get doesn’t have impurities, so the step to boil the jaggery to form liquid and then straining it through sieve is avoided.
- You can make ela ada using parchment paper instead of banana leaves.