Recipe for Kappa Puzhungiyathu /Boiled Tapioca /Yuca/Cassava
Tapioca /Yuca /Cassava /Kappa
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder : Depending upon the quantity of the Kappa/Tapioca (optional)
Method of Preparation :
1. Clean the impurities of tapioca/kappa and peel the skin and dice into 4-5 round long pieces.
2. Pour enough water to the cleaned tapioca so that all the pieces will be immersed completely,cook uncovered and allow to boil.
3. When the water boils,remove and drain the water and again add the same amount of water, salt and cook till it turns to very soft.
4. Remove from the fire and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes and drain the excess water.
5. Serve with Ulli Chammanthi /Spicy Fish Curry (recipe below) or any curry of your choice & Enjoy!!!
Recipe for Meen Mulakittathu /Meen Mulakarachathu / Kerala Style Spicy Fish Curry
Seer fish ( Ney meen) /King fish (Aiykoora) : 1/2 kg /1.1lb
Small Red onion /Shallots : 5-8 nos (thinly sliced)
Fenugreek Seeds : 1/4 tsp
Green chillies : 3-4 nos
Cambogia /Fish Tamarind /Kudampuli : 2-3 pieces
Curry leaves : 2 sprig
Coconut oil : 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
To Grind :
Fennel seeds powder :1/2 tsp
Red chilly powder : 2 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
1. Clean and cut the fish into pieces.
2. Soak the kukam star/kudam puli in 1/4 cup water.
3. In blender grind the ingredients mentioned above “To Grind” to fine paste and keep it aside.
4. Heat oil in the pan when its hot, add fenugreek seed, sliced small onions and sauté for few minutes and curry leaves and sauté well till onions turns to golden brown.
5. Add grounded red chilli paste, sauté on low fire till oil separates from the sides.
6. Add soaked kudam puli with its water and pour enough water to cover all fish pieces and add salt, bring to boil.
7. When its done add the fish pieces and cover and cook in the medium heat,once the fish is cooked reduce the fire to lower flame and cook until the gravy thickens. (Note : Don’t stir after the fish is cooked)
8. Sprinkle coconut oil and the curry leaves to fish curry.
9.Turn off the stove and keep the curry covered, let the flavor set.
10. Serve hot with Kappa or steamed rice & enjoy!!!
Notes : Prepare the curry overnight and serve in the morning. It tastes Yummy!!
Related Posts :
Tapioca Fritters /Kappa Pakoda
Steamed Tapioca /Kappa Puttu
Mashed Tapioca /Kappa Puzhukku
Good Day All!