Recipe for Ulli Theeyal /Red Onion /Shallots Theeyal /Pearl Onions cooked in Roasted Coconut Gravy
Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
Shallots /Small Onions : 15-20 (peeled & sliced into thin pieces)
Tamarind : 1 small lemon sized
Dried Red Chillies : 5-6
Coriander seeds : 11/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds : 1/4 tsp
Whole Black Pepper : 5-10
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida : a pinch
Fenugreek Powder : a pinch
Mustard Seeds : 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves : a few
Sugar : a pinch (optional)
Salt to taste
Oil as needed
1. Slice the small onions lengthwise into thin pieces.
2. Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of warm water and take the extract from it.
3. Heat 1 tsp of oil stir fry the red chilly,coriander seeds ,cumin seeds, black pepper corns, grated coconut and turmeric powder till it gives an aroma and turns to brown in colour. (Note : Make sure not burn the spices) keep it aside and let it cool.Grind it to a smooth paste.
4. Heat 2 tbsp of oil and splutter mustard seeds,add curry leaves,sliced small onions and saute till the onion turn light brown in color.
5. Add asafoetida,salt and fenugreek powder into it and saute for a while.
6. Add tamarind extract into it and allow it to boil for 4-5 minutes by stirring occasionally. (Note : Add water if necessary)
7. Add the ground paste and sugar into it and simmer for further 3-4 minutes.
8. Remove from the fire and serve hot with steamed rice and Enjoy!