I have a lot of nostalgic memories associated with the same. Most of the Kerala snacks recipes ask for rice flour and coconut base..This is one among them. This is a combination of roasted raw rice flour, grated coconut and cumin seeds.
This snack is usually eaten along with sugar or honey. It pairs well with cup of steaming tea or coffee. Avolose Podi (Roasted Rice Powder) can be easily transformed into Avalose unda (Roasted Rice Balls). Traditionally, avalose unda is made with jaggery syrup mixed in and rolled into balls. Here I made the balls using mashed banana and sugar which is easier version…either way, it’s very tasty and easy to make. Trust me you will surely love it..Here is the recipe..Do give a try and Enjoy!
Recipe for Avalose Podi/Roasted Rice Powder Snack
Rice Flour : 3 cups or Raw Rice : 1/2 kg
Fresh Grated Coconut : 1 1/2 cup or 1 whole coconut
Cumin Seeds (Jeerakam) /Cumin Powder : 1/2 tsp
Dried Ginger Powder (Chukku Podi ) : a pinch
Salt a pinch
Method of Preparation :
1. Soak the raw rice for few hours, drain and dry it, then powder it into coarse form or If you don’t like lumps in your Avalose Podi then grind it to a smooth powder (OR) Use store brought rice flour.
2. Combine well the rice flour, grated coconut, half of the cumin seeds, dry ginger powder and salt using your hands and set it aside; let it rest for about 1 hour.(Note : The mixture should be dry)
3. Heat a heavy bottomed pan kadai (Perferably uruli or cheenachatti – Kerala style shallow kadai) and add the rest of the cumin seeds and lightly roast it.
4. Add the rice coconut mixture and dry roast the mixture stirring continuously on a medium low flame for about 1/2 hour or till the mixture turns light brown in colour.
5. Remove from fire and keep the mixture stirring for some more time after switching the flame off , otherwise, the four in the bottom of the pan may burn due to the residual heat or transfer the content to another dish immediately. Cool completely and store in air tight containers.
6. Serve as a tea time snack with some sugar or honey and ripe banana and Enjoy!!
- Avalose podi can be stored for almost a year if it properly is stored.
- Constant stirring throughout the process is very important.
Recipe for Avalose Unda /Roasted Rice Powder balls
Follow the above-mentioned method till step 4. With the avalose podi (Roasted Rice Powder) mix the mashed banana and sugar and make into balls.
Click here for more Snacks Recipes.
Have a great day!