Now let me introduce Pappada Vada to my friends who haven’t heard about the snack; Pappada Vada is a popular tea time snack in Kerala. It is very crispy and super tasty. I bet it will come out wonderful. If anyone decides to give it a try, I would love to know how it turned out! They go very nice with a cup of tea, perfect for a lazy afternoon. Enjoy!
Makes : 15
Kerala Pappadam /Plain Pappads : 15
Raw Rice : 1/2 cup or Fine Rice flour :1 cup
Dry Red Chillies : 5-6 or Red Chilli Powder : 1tsp or to your tolerance level
Turmeric Powder : a pinch
Black Sesame Seeds /Ellu : 1tsp
Cumin Seeds /Jeerakam : 1 tsp
Asafoetida powder : a pinch
Salt to taste
Water : 3/4 cup or as needed
Coconut Oil /Velichenna – to deep fry : 1 cup or as needed
How to make Pappada vada – Pappad Fritters :
1. Wash ,clean the rice and soak them in water for 15-20 minutes. Drain out water, grind the soaked rice along with dry red chillies and turmeric powder to smooth paste in a mixer adding enough water (or) If your using rice flour then, in a blow add the rice flour, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and pour in water to make a loose batter and mix well.
2. Add salt, black sesame seeds, cumin seeds, pinch of asafoetida and stir well to blend everything together.
3. Heat coconut oil in a pan/wok. Dip the pappad in the batter, one pappad at a time, press it onto the batter surface and turn to the other side. (Note : Make sure that both sides are adequately coated.)
4. Place the pappad into the oil . Fry on low to medium heat till the pappada vada turns crisp.
5. Turn the other side; deep fry till golden and crisp and drain in kitchen tissues.
6. Repeat the same to all pappads and serve hot with tea or store in airtight containers and Enjoy!
- To re-heat, microwave for 10-20 seconds.
- Batter should be of pouring consistency, it should be thinner than normal dosa batter.
- Do not put the pappada in the moist batter for long, it will break and becomes mushy.
- Using coconut oil enhance the authentic taste and flavor.
- To make more crispier, dry the pappadam /papads in sun for about 15-20 mins.
Related Post :