I just made my first batch of homemade Eggnog minutes ago and it is so delicious! The best part of making your own eggnog is the freedom of creativity.
Preparation Time : 15- 20 minutes
Serves : 5-6
Sugar : 1/2 cup
Vanilla extract : 1 tsp
Salt : a pinch
Rum (white or dark) : 1/4 cup
Cognac or other brandy : 1/3 cup (add or reduce alcohol just to your taste) (For Non-alcoholic version, just substitute with milk for alcohol.)
Whole Milk : 2 cups
Heavy Cream : 1 cup
Powdered Cinnamon : 1/2 tsp
Freshly Ground Nutmeg : 1/2 tsp + little extra for garnishing
How to mkae Eggnog – Homemade Eggnog :
1. Begin by separating the eggs yolks and whites. In a large bowl, whisk and mix together the egg yolks with half of the sugar, vanilla extract and pinch of salt until sugar dissolve and they are light and fluffy.
2. Add the rum, coganac and milk.
3. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg powder and set the mixture aside.
5. Clean off the beaters and whip the heavy cream till nice soft stage.
6. Fold the egg whites into the milk mixture and then gently fold in the whipped cream.
7. Transfer the drink to a punch bowl and serve it in glass cups.
8. Sprinkle some nutmeg on the top for garnish and a little extra flavor. Serve and Enjoy!!
- This recipe uses raw eggs, so be sure to keep the drink cool at all times.
- For non-alcoholic eggnog, simply substitute milk for the alcohol.