My husband always been a great fan of Kerala country style snacks/ Nadan palaharam and I think not only my hubby most of Keralites have a special bonding with these kind of humble snack.
Unniyappam and needless to say it’s very delicious, especially the lavishly strewn coconut bits.
Preparation Time : 2 hrs
Cooking time : 20 mins
Serves : 4
Raw Rice/Pachari : 1 cup
Parboiled Rice /Puzhungalari : 1 cup (both rice soaked in water for 2 hours)
Cooked Rice : 1 cup
Jaggery : 1/2 cup or according to your taste
Shallots /Red Onion : 1/4 cup (finely sliced)
Coconut Bites /Thenga kothu : 4 tbsp
Baking Soda : a pinch (optional)
Salt to taste
Coconut Oil : 2 tbsp
Water as needed
How to make Kalathappam – Kalthappam Recipe| Kannur Special Kalathappam :
1. Wash and soak rice for couple of hours.Drain the soaked rice and grind it along with cooked rice and 1/4 cup of water. (Note : Don’t add more water, the batter has to be medium thick.The consistency should be like idli batter).
2. Melt the jaggery with 1/4 cup of water; remove the impurities and add the jaggery syrup and salt to rice batter; mix well. Optional – Add pinch of baking powder to the batter.
3. In a pressure cooker, add coconut oil and saute the coconut slices till it become golden brown and transfer to plate and saute the shallot to golden brown; do the same and set it aside.
4. Now there will be enough oil left in the pressure cooker, so swirl the pessure cooker in such way that oil is coated on its all sides.
5. Add half of fried shallot and coconut slices to the batter and mix well.
6. Heat the pressure on high heat and pour the batter and add the remainng fried shallot and coconut slices on top of it and cook for 2 minutes on a high flame. Next lower the flame; close the pressure cooker tightly without the weight/whistle and cook for 15 minutes.
7. Switch off the stove and keep it there for another 15 minutes.Open it carefully and check if the its is cooked by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean its done, cook it on the low-medium flame for 5 more minutes and then remove from stove and let cool.
8. When cold invert and cut into pieces and serve with tea/coffee or as breakfast and Enjoy!