1 Million page views…Hoorraayy! I’m kind of a happy girl right now 🙂
Kerala Special – Palada Payasam, which is my family’s favorite. My husband always been a great fan of ‘Palada’ and if you ask him to pick one dessert that is his most favorite, without even thinking. He will say “Palada” and perhaps he might answer that in his sleep as well. Quite confident on that 🙂 and I think not only my DH most of Keralites have a special bonding with this desserts/payasam.
Palada Pradhaman Recipe – Palada Payasam Recipe – Palada with Readymade Ada
Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 30-45 minutes
Serves : 4-6
Boiled Milk : 6 cups /11/2 ltrs
Cardamom powder : 1/4 tsp
Ghee : 2 tbsp
How to make Palada Pradhaman – Palada Payasam – Palada with Readymade Ada :
1. Boil the milk and set it aside.Wash and drain the readymade ada.
2. Boil the water in a pan till rolling boil. Switch off flame and soak the washed ada in hot water; cover and keep it aside for 20 minutes.
3. Drain the ada and rinse 2 to 3 times under cold water thoroughly to remove all the excess stickiness out of it. Set aside in water until you add it to the payasam.
4. Heat a heavy bottomed vessel or in uruli (Kerala style shallow kadai used for making payasam) in a medium low flame and pour in one tbsp of ghee. Add sugar and saute until it melts with ghee.
5. Now add ada and roast till it changes color to light golden and is well coated with sugar and ghee. (Note : We call this process as ada vilayichathu, normally ada has a tendency to stick to each other; by doing this way the ada will retain its shape and will not stick together and will taste more tastier and this is secret tip, I learned from my mom.)
6. Pour the boiled milk to ada vilayichathu (ada sugar- ghee mixture) and continue boiling until it thickens and its color changes to pale pink; stirring continiously (approximately 30-45 minutes) (Notes : The perfect consistency for the Palada Payasam will be that if you draw a line on the ladle it should not join or if drop of payasam is dropped on a surface it would stay there without running watery.)
7. Add the cardamon powder and mix well.
6. Optional – Heat the ghee in a pan and fry cashew nut and raisins. Add this to the payasam.
How to make Palada Pradhaman Paysam in Pressure Cooker :
1. Heat the pressure cooker on medium-low flame; Pour 1 tbsp of ghee, add the sugar and allow it to melt and add the cooked ada and mix everything well and now add the milk.
2. Increase the flame to high and cook to one whistle. Switch off stove and let the pressure settle down.
3. Open the pressure cooker and return back to stove and cook on medium heat stirring continuously until it thickens and its color changes to pale pink. (approximately 30-45 minutes).
Yummy Palada Payasam is ready.Serve hot or chilled…Enjoy!
- Traditionally we don’t use cashew nuts and rasins, so i have not used in this recipe, If you prefer using you can, it will not harm the basic flavor.
- The perfect consistency for the Palada Payasam will be that if you draw a line on the ladle it should not join or if drop of payasam is dropped on a surface it would stay there without running watery.
- You can use Milkmade(Condensed milk) 1 tbsp and few strands of saffron to further spice up the recipe.
- If you feel palada is too thick when serving, you can dilute it by adding boiled milk and sugar as needed.
Ada Pradhaman /Cooked Rice Flakes with Coconut Milk & Jagerry
Nenthra Pazham Pradhaman /Banana Payasam
Semiya Payasam /Vermicelli Dessert
Aval Payasam /Poha /Beaten Rice Flakes with Milk
Pal Payasam /Rice Kheer
For more delicious Desserts /Pudding click here
Happy Cooking !