Have you ever tried Kozhi Kumbalanga Curry( Chicken made with Ash Gourd in it)? If your answer is an all-knowing yes, I guess there must smile on your face as how curry would taste! Yum!:-) Well, if you haven’t, what better time to try something new?
Chicken-Kozhi Kumbalanga Curry( Chicken with Ash Gourd) is another specialty of the Thrissur cuisine. Now I see a few raised eyebrows as to what ashgourd with chicken! Trust me floks! It’s good one for sure. A great pair for rice, Appam, Puttu and easy to put together.
Fennel seeds : 1 tsp
Poppy seeds : 1/2 tsp
Semi Thick Coconut milk – 2nd extract /Randampaal : 3/4 cup
Thick Coconut milk – 1st extract /Onnampaal : 1/4 cup
6. Heat a pan (preferably in ‘Kalchatti’ an earthen pot); add sprig of curry leaves, the ground spice powders and the marinated chicken pieces; combine well. Add thin coconut milk,salt to taste and cook it for 10 to 15 mins or until chicken is 3/4th cooked..
- Marinating chicken is purely optional, I personally prefer marinating the poultry /meat, cause makes it more juicy and flavorful.
- Keep this curry closed for at least 10-20 minutes before serving, so that the gravy absorbs all flavors.
- The taste of the curry depends the quality of the coconut milk. I prefer using fresh squeezed coconut milk.
- Using freshly ground spice powders and coconut oil enhance the authentic taste and flavor.
Thick Coconut milk – 1st extract /Onnampaal : 1/4
Learn How to cook Kozhi Kumbalanga Curry | Chicken -Ash Gourd Curry :
1. Heat a pan (preferably in ‘Kalchatti’ an earthen pot); add sprig of curry leaves,crushed ginger, crushed garlic,green chilles, and sliced onion. Saute well till the onion become light brown in color.
2. Add garam masala (leaving ½ behind for final sprinkling) and all other spice powders and saute for couple of minutes. (Note : Take care not to burn the spices, add few drops of water to avoid burning the spices.)
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till turns to soft and mushy.
4. Add the chicken pieces,salt to taste, combine well; close and cook on medium fire till the chicken is half cooked.
5. Add the chopped ash gourd and the semi thick coconut milk – 2nd extract /randampaal. Increase the fire; adjust the salt; cover and cook till it done.
6. Add thick coconut milk – 1st extract /onnampaal and reamining garam masala powder; mix well and remove from fire just before boiling.
Nadan Kozhi /Chicken Curry /Kerala Style Chicken Curry
Varutharacha Kozhi Curry /Fried Coconut Chicken Curry
Malabar Chicken Curry