Much to our regret, it’s simply hard to find fresh mathi/sardines here in place where we live mostly we get frozen sardines or canned sardines, but long back our friends bought this fresh sardines/mathi when they came to visit us, from then this recipe lying in my draft with pictures placed, each time I decided to leave it for later. Don’t ask why? 🙂 Not that this recipe isn’t good. Oh it’s too good, very healthy and delicious….however here it is…
Other Fish & Sardines Recipes You Might Also Like :
How to clean Sardines-Mathi-Chaala:
2. Cut the head off. After that make an incision, one inch long near the stomach using a sharp knife. Pull off the inside thread and a sac like stuff using your fingers, it will come off easily. Rinse well in water
How to make Mathi-Chaala Varuthathu- Mathi Fry | Kerala Fried Sardines :
- Sardines / Mathi / Chaala : 5-6 nos (medium sized sardines) /500 grms
- Ginger-Garlic Paste : ½ tsp ( Optional )
- Turmeric Powder : ¾ tsp
- Red chilly Powder : ½ tsp
- Freshly grounded Black Pepper Powder :1 tbsp
- Lemon Juice : 1 tsp
- Coconut Oil/Vegetable oil as required (coconut oil preferred)
- Curry Leaves : few
- Salt to taste
- Clean and pat dry the cleaned fish using a kitchen tissue.
- Make a fine paste of all ingredients using either oil or bit of water. Apply the masala paste on the fish and do make sure to rub the paste inside the fish's stomach and gashes.Keep the marinated fish pieces for 20 mins to 1 hour in refrigerator.(Note : The marination time purely depends on the time availability)
- Pour required coconut oil (it will enhance the authentic taste) and when its hot tilt the tawa/pan in such a way that oil gets spread evenly in the tawa/pan.
- Add little curry leaves; shallow fry the fish on medium-low heat ; close it with a lid for a minute to avoid any spluttering out due to the moisture content on the fish and the marinade.
- Flip the fish pieces carefully after 6-8 mins.Pour little bit of oil over all the fish pieces and reduce the flame to low and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Once crisp,remove from heat; transfer it to a paper towel.. Serve hot with rice and Enjoy!
If you wish you can add any other cooking oil, using coconut oil gives authentic taste and flavor.
Adding curry leaves before frying will give a nice aroma and fish will not stick to the frying pan.
Try to use freshly ground black pepper; to make freshly ground pepper, fry the peppercorns in a hot pan for couple of minutes and grind it to a fine powder in mixier or in coffee grinder.Store this powder in an airtight container for later use.
Hope you will try this Mathi fish fry -Kerala style Sardines fry and like it too. Don’t forget to share you feedback. Enjoy!
Like this Recipe? Sign up, and get more recipes delivered directly to your inbox.RECOMMENDED RECIPES!