Looking for Kerala Style Kalan Recipe to make Sadya ? Look No Further!
Kalan -Kaalan is a more popular traditional Keralite dish made of yogurt, coconut, and vegetables tuber like yam and raw plantain. It is served as part of the sadya, the traditional Kerala feast.
Kalan is distinct from all the curd/yogurt based gravies and it is very easy to make and is an ultimate comfort food with some rice and any spicy vegetable stir fry on the side. Usually kalan recipe Kerala style is prepared with Chena /Elephant Foot /Yam and Pachakkaya /Raw Plantain. Here I used only Raw Plantain, since my husband doesn’t like Yam.
The below recipe corresponds to the Kalan -Kaalan in sadyas around Thrissur (a city in the Indian state of Kerala ) Those of you who have not tasted it.. Do give a try and you will be hooked!
Other Sadya Recipes You Might Like :
Kalan -Kaalan Recipe – How to make Kalan in Kerala Style :
- Raw Plantain/Banana /Pachakkaya : 1 (medium sized)
- Tender Yam/Chenna : ½ cup /115 grms
- Thick Sour Yogurt : 2 cups/1/2 ltr (stirred well)
- Turmeric Powder : 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder : a pinch
- Black Pepper Powder : 1 tsp
- Roasted Fenugreek Seeds powder : ½ tsp (dry roast and powdered)
- Ghee /Clarified Butter : 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves : a sprig
- Salt to taste
- To Grind :
- Grated Coconut : ½ cup
- Cumin Seeds : ½ tsp
- Green Chillies: 4-5 nos
- For Seasoning :
- Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
- Whole Dry Red Chillies : 3
- Coconut Oil : 1 tsp
- Curry leaves : few
- Wash and cut the vegetables into square pieces.
- Grind the grated coconut,cumin seeds,green chillies with little yogurt to a thick paste and keep it aside.(Note: Do not add water while grinding.)
- Dissolve the pepper powder in ½ cup of water; strain the water and cook the vegetables in pepper water with turmeric powder and red chilli powder till the water dries; now add the salt and curry leaves and mix well. (Note : Make sure not to add salt to vegetables until they are completely cooked.)
- Add 1 tsp ghee and combine well now add the beaten sour yogurt and reduce the flame and allow to boil, stirring occasionally until the gravy is thickened to a pouring consistency. (Note : You have to decide about the consistency of the kalan, remember when once it cools down it thickens further therefore decide on the consistency)
- Dry roast the fenugreek seeds to a golden brown and grind to a fine powder.
- Now add the grounded coconut mixture, stir well and heat through. Remove from the fire; add the powdered fenugreek powder, mix well and set it aside.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When these start to splutter, add the rest of the seasoning ingredients and fry till the chilies turn dark brown.
- Pour the seasoning to the kaalan and cover the dish for 10-15 mins. Let the flavor set.
- Serve with rice along with Kaya Mezhukkupuratti or with any other Side dish as u wish & enjoy!
This curry keeps well in the refrigerator for more than 1 week.Store this curry in air tight container. Do not reheat, just bring it back to room temperature and serve.
If you wish you can add any other oil, using coconut oil gives authentic & special flavour to the dish.
Hope you will try this authentic Kerala Sadya Kalan -Kaalan recipe and like them too. Enjoy! Don’t forget to share you feedback.Would love to hear it.
Like this Recipe? Sign up, and get more recipes delivered directly to your inbox.