Yet another Traditional Breakfast Recipe – Vishu Katta – Rice cake made in coconut milk.
Thanks so much everyone for your encouraging comments and compliments. I am really overwhelmed by the love, and support you give me. I am truly inspired by you all 🙂
Last couple of posts we talked a lot about Vishu /Kerala New Year and Vishukkani. We celebrated this Vishu with a beautiful Vishukkani and enjoyed typical Vishu Sadya including vishukkatta. Here is a look at our Vishu Kani and Sadya/Feast for you.
Yes, today recipe is a part of the ‘Vishu Recipes’. Most of you won’t be familiar with this recipe Vishu Katta. This is a very traditional and popular dish in Thrissur, Central Kerala on the day of Vishu.Vishu is not complete without Vishu Katta for breakfast in parts of Thrissur, which is also referred as Vishu Kanji by many. I have already posted vishu kanji, When i posted vishu kanji recipe, I promised to post vishu katta and one of my readers Lekha Menon, requested me to post this recipes. I planned posting it before Vishu, but I couldn’t do. Anyway better late than never. Lekha hope you reading this post.
Vishu Katta is rice cake made with coconut milk with a dash of cumin and dry ginger powder to enhance the authentic taste and flavor. Back home in Kerala, Traditionally, Vishu Katta is made from freshly harvested rice Unakkalari /Brown raw rice and served along with jaggery syrup or tender cashew curry.
How to make Vishu Katta Recipe -Thirssur Style- Traditional Vishu Breakfast – Rice cakes made in coconut milk
- Unakkalari /Brown raw rice Raw Rice : 1 cup
- Freshly Squeezed Coconut Milk : from 2 medium size (See below)
- Cumin Seeds : ½ tsp, (crushed)
- Dry Ginger Powder : ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak the rice for 30 minutes to 1 hours.
- Extract coconut milk from 2 medium size coconut, three times. Grate the coconut finely. squeeze the coconut with hand to get 1 cup fresh milk /first extract/onnampal- thalappal. (Note : Don't add any water in this step.)
- Now add grated coconut t with 2 cup of warm water in a blender or food processor, and process for a minute, then squeeze it for milk in another bowl. This gives you 2 cup semi thick milk /second extract/randaampal.
- Return coconut to processor and add 3 cup warm water and process for couple of minutes and squeeze it for milk in separate bowl. This gives you 3 cup thin milk /third extract/moonampal.
- Buy 3 can( 400ml/13.5 oz) of thick coconut milk, shake well and pour ½ contents in a bowl and mix with 4 to 5 cup . This gives you 5 cup semi thin coconut milk. Remaining milk in can is thick milk /onnampal- thalappal.
- Add the washed rice, close with a lid, simmer then flame and cook till all the coconut milk is used up.
- Now pour in the second extract/randaampal, stir and cook the rice on simmer. When the rice is ¾th cooked add salt to taste. when all the second extract is used up.
- Add first extract /onnampal - thalappal with jeera powder and dry ginger powder. Stir continuously till the rice stir and cook till the rice thickens and oil comes out. (Note : Stir carefully because the water from the milk will began to crackle ).
- Transfer and pour on to a banana leave or plate and make it flat using a flat spoon. Sprinkle little first extract/ onnampal /thalappal and softly press with a spoon. Wait till the mixture cools and cut into pieces.
- Serve with jaggery syrup and enjoy!
The banana leaf imparts an amazing flavor to the dish, so if you have access to fresh banana leaves use them.
Traditionally vishu katta is prepared with unakkalari /brown raw rice , but i didn't have one handy, so i have used normal white raw rice.
1. Mix 1/2 cup jaggery with 1 cup of water and bring it to boil. Keep until the mixture becomes thin syrup.
2. Add little ghee and cardamom powder. Serve it on top of vishu katta.
Hope you will try this Traditional Vish Katta for this Vishu. Don’t forget to revert to me with your opinion if you try. Enjoy!
Like this Recipe? Sign up, and get more recipes delivered directly to your inbox.RECOMMENDED RECIPES!