Kerala Style Tuna Curry-Nadan Choora Meen Curry!
How are you all enjoying summer so far? It’s pretty hot here in CA and sunny days are not quite new for me. Most of you know that I grew up in Chennai where sunny days take over major part of the seasons. How about you? What your favorite season?
I have already shared a variety of fish curry in this space. Today’s recipe is an authentic version/Kerala country-style Tuna Fish Curry which pairs well with rice & kappa. This is my velliyamma (aunt) recipe. She is a great cook and I have already mentioned about her cooking in Thalaserry Dum Mutton Biryani.
This Tuna Curry-Nadan Choor Meen Curry is her yet another signature dish. It’s very easy yet tasty fish curry, wondering what so special about this dish? Very simple, grated coconut and all spices grounded together and mixed with the marinated tuna and then cooked to perfect consistency. That’s it pretty easy right?:)
I have slightly tweaked the recipe. Original Tuna Curry-Nadan choora meen curry recipe calls for all whole spices like dried red chilli, coriander seeds, instead I have used spice powder’s. This tuna curry was sitting in my draft for long time, recently one of reader Ms.Ronika requested for this authentic Kerala Fish Curry and I made this last weekend for friends get-together. Everyone liked it and one of my friend Ms.Sandya requested to share the recipe so without further ado let’s get starte. Hope you all will try and enjoy this simple yet tasty Tuna Curry-Nadan Choora Meen Curry.Enjoy!
Have you tried these Kerala Style Fish Curries?
How to make Kerala Style Tuna Curry-Nadan Choora Meen Curry
Marinate the tuna fish curry with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp red chillie powder, salt to taste and set aside for 15-20 minutes.Grind the grated coconut along with remaining turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder, fenugreek seeds,ginger piece, garlic, shallots/pearl onions and tamarind to a fine paste adding enough water.
Heat coconut oil in a cooking vessel (preferably in ‘Kalchatti’ an Earthen pot), add oil and splutter mustard seeds at medium heat. Add green chilies, curry leaves, ground coconut mixture, and sauté for a few minutes.
Add salt and 11/2 to 2 cups of water. Mix well and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes. Reduce the flame to medium-low; add the marinated fish and cook until fish done. Swirl the pan or meen chatti every 5 mins.Adjust the gravy according to your consistency and sprinkle coconut oil and little the curry leaves on the top. Turn off the stove and keep the curry covered for 10-20 minutes, let the flavor set. Serve with piping hot plain boiled rice or with Mashed Tapioca /Kappa Puzhukku or with Rice, Appam and Enjoy.
- Choora Meen/Tuna Fish : 1.1 lb /500 gms
- Turmeric Powder : ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder/Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder : 2 tsp(or to your spice level)
- Salt to taste
- Grated Coconut : ½ cup
- Shallots/Pearl Onion/Red Small Onion : 8-10 nos
- Ginger : ¼" small piece
- Garlic : 2 small cloves
- Turmeric Powder : ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder or Kashmiri Chili Powder : 2 ½ tbsp(or to your spice level)
- Coriander Powder : ¼ tbsp
- Uluva/Fenugreek Seeds : ¼ tsp
- Tamarind pulp /Vaalan puli : small lemon size
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Green Chillies : 2-3 nos(slit lengthwise)
- Curry leaves : 2 sprig
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil as required
- Marinate the tuna fish curry with above listed ingredients To Marinate and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Grind the grated coconut along with ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder, fenugreek seeds, pearl onions/shallots, few curry leaves and tamarind to a fine paste adding enough water.
- Heat coconut oil in a a cooking vessel (preferably in ‘Kalchatti’ an Earthen pot), add oil and splutter mustard seeds at medium heat.
- Add green chilies,curry leaves, ground coconut mixture, and saut'e for a few minutes.
- Add salt and 11/2 to 2 cups of water. Mix well and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes.
- Reduce the flame to medium-low and add the marinated fish and cook until done. Swirl the pan or meen chatti every 5 mins.
- Adjust the gravy according to your consistency and sprinkle coconut oil and remaining curry leaves on the top.
- Turn off the stove and keep the curry covered for 10-20 minutes, let the flavor set.
- Tasty Tuna Fish Curry-Nadan Choora Meen Curry is ready to serve, Serve with piping hot plain boiled rice or with Mashed Tapioca /Kappa Puzhukku or with Rice, Appam and Enjoy.
This is a very hot dish. Add or reduce chilli powder according to your taste. Optional – To bring down the heat, if you want can substitute red chilli powder with kashmiri chilli powder or paprika
If you haven’t tried this Kerala Style Tuna Curry -Nadan Choora Meen Curry, what are you waiting for ? Do give it a try, you are going to love this Spice rich flavorful Curry…Enjoy! Don’t forget to share your opinions if you get chance to try this.
Like this Recipe? Sign up, and get more recipes delivered directly to your inbox.RECOMMENDED RECIPES!