Saying Hellooo with Onam Sadya Special Chakka Aviyal-Jackfruit Aviyal 🙂
How are you all doing? …it has been ages since I said hi to all. Again It’s been a whirlwind of few months, Things are settling back into a more normal routine and I was eagerly waiting and very happy to get back to posting here.
Wow!!! time fly so fast..another Onam is knocking on our door; Yes this year’s Onam is visiting us on this Monday. I’m sure most of you have already started preparations for a grand Onasadya. We can’t celebrate Onam this year so no plans to make grand sadya at home…but we have couple of Onam celebrations lined up with our friends.
If you had to choose one favorite Sadya recipe , what would it be? Ok, so that is a hard question and I’d have had hard time answering it too. But after thinking long and hard, my mind always pined on to Aviyal. As you all know Kerala Sadya without aviyal is incomplete, so for this Onam sadya why don’t we try aviyal with a twist. Have you ever tried Chakka Aviyal-Jackfruit Aviyal? Chakka Aviyal-Jackfruit Aviyal is very popular and close to people in Kerala.This one was my grandma’s masterpiece. Chakka aviyal is almost the same as traditional aviyal usually prepared with the mixture of veggies. Here only ingredient is jack fruit and its seeds. Traditionally this recipe is prepared in a brass vessel called “Uruli”, which is a very thick and heavy vessel to let heat spread evenly.
Now let see, how it is made in my kitchen. Hope you all will try this Kerala special Chakka Aviyal-jackfruit Aviyal. Happy Cooking and Wishing you all the best things the life has to offer and may all your dreams come true. Wishing you and your family a very prosperous and fabulous Onam!!!.
How to make Chakka Aviyal-Jackfruit Aviyal- Kerala Style Jackfruit Aviyal :
Cut each jackfruit bulbs, jackfruit seeds, raw mango (Note : You can substitute raw mango with tamarind paste) and green chillies into thin stripes and cook it adding little water, turmeric and salt.Grind together coconut, very little chilly powder, cumin seeds ,garlic and half of curry leaves using less water.
When the jack fruit pieces are cooked well, stir the ground ingredients (Note : If you using tamarind paste) then add into it. Simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the curry leaves and pour coconut oil over the top and cover the pot.Remove from the fire and keep covered till serving.
Other Jackfruit Special You Might Like Also:
- 1 cup of Young green jackfruit
- 4-6 nos of Jackfruit seeds
- ¼ cup of Raw mango or ¼ tsp of Tamarind paste
- A pinch of Turmeric powder
- A pich of Red chilli powder
- ½ cup of Grated coconut
- ½ tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 clove of Garlic
- Few Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp of coconut Oil
- Cut each jackfruit bulbs, jackfruit seeds, raw mangoes(if using) and green chillies into thin stripes and cook it adding little water, turmeric and salt.
- Grind together coconut, chilly powder, cumin seeds,garlic and half of curry leaves using less water.
- When the jackfruit pieces are cooked well,stir the ground ingredients and if you prefer to use tamarind paste then add into it Simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the curry leaves and pour coconut oil over the top and cover the pot.
- Remove from the fire and keep covered till serving.
Do not use the sweet/ripe jackfruit as it will sweeten the dish.
You can either use raw mango or tamarind paste.
Try this Classic Chakka Aviyal-Jackfruit Aviyal for this Onam. I’m sure this will unique addition to your Onam sadya. Enjoy! Don’t forget let me know your opinion.